Starting Out

• 10 Replies

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Starting Out
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:46 »
Hi everyone!  I've been reading the forum for some time in addition to other chicken stuff, with a view to starting to keep 6 chickens in the spring.
I'd love some feedback on:

1) what (easy for novice/family proof) breeds should I go for to get 6 different colours of eggs - so I know who's laying what?

2) I like the idea of recycled plastic housing (looked at the Eglu & thought lovely but.... howwww much?) - what have people used? What are the most user-friendly? Are they warm enough for Norwich winters?

3) I need to start up on a budget: in addition to the house & electric fencing (dogs!) what are the essentials & what size/capacity are appropriate for 6 hens?

I look forward to getting involved with chicken people - they're obviously all insane so I'll fit right in!
ManicMum

trinamc

• Experienced Member
Re: Starting Out
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27 »
Hi

Like you I am  new to chickens , I feel I must warn you I started in june and have been bitten by the bug - it happens a little at a time and before you know it you are addicted.

For the house look on freecycle ask for a shed it may be tatty but hens are not that bothered.
You can make a run from timber and chicken wire so again you may get bits from freecycle, if you go down this route it will cost you very little for the housing.

good look

Dreamer@45

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39 »
If you’re handy with a hammer why not build your own hen house at a fraction of the cost of a ready made, and you could paint it army camouflage too like mine! As for the chickens why not take a trip to a local mixed breed chicken farm/ Breeder, ask questions and see what you like. It makes a nice day out. Happy hunting! :)

Carshay

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 19:14 »
Hi I am new to this too and also live in Norfolk. I have an ordinary wooden coop which seems to have kept the girls cosy in all the snow we had. I have five hybrids from Cambridge poultry and they all seem exceptionally healthy and I'm still getting four eggs a day. The eggs are fairly similar in colour but gradually I'm learning who is laying which. The only problem in identifying them comes from having to see the hen lay which can be a bit difficult for me to be with them when they lay as its not always the same time of day! Good luck!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 19:23 »
Thanks for the suggestions re self-builds,  but I suspect my skills would not rise to the challenge!!  I'm looking on ebay, though, for new or used house & run.  I feel a bit bewildered as there are so many different designs.

Number 2 son has decided he fancies keeping bees if I'm having chickens - anyone tried keeping both?

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 19:38 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 19:56 »
they would need a lot bigger run, that is way too small for 3 hens  :(.
Staffies are softer than you think.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 19:59 »
I thinkit says theres another run with it?  Ok for the nighttime coop though!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 08:45 »
Thanks for the help - I'll keep searching for the perfect henhouse.......going as cheap as possible. 

Going back to the recycled plastic houses, do you lot like them?  Reading the websites, I thought cleaning would be a breeze if you can take it apart & put the hose on it.  They are pricey, but I'll wait & go for that if they are popular with forum members.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05 »
it depends on the make, some look very gimmicky, although I did look at solway recycling eco hen arks  - the very large ones (the size of a pig ark) and was impressed. Most who don't have wooden ones have omlets - either the eglu or the cube and they are very good, easy to clean and hold their value very well. Cheap wooden houses do not tend to last very long so if getting a wooden one then buy the best you can afford - the Forsham range are good so perhaps you could look out for a second hand one.

Jeanette

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13 »
Dont buy a cheap coup from ebay, they fall apart as soon as rain hits them and you end up buying another one. It is more of an outlay to get something that is good rather than having to keep paying out for cheap ones but it is worth it in the end. I would get a shed and convert it, it is easy to do and you can get sheds cheaply at b@q or homebase or any of the others. Good luck.

xx
Starting again

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 02:05
by hillfooter
xx
Just starting out

Started by kelbenjae on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:52
by babe
xx
Starting over ... Thanks Mr Fox :-(

Started by gingerplant on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 09:28
by gingerplant
xx
starting out

Started by darby on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 22:17
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 38 queries.