Seed Prices

• 15 Replies

Christine

Seed Prices
« on: September 30, 2010, 20:13 »
I think that the price of seed packets is creeping up rather rapidly - by at least 10p here, 20p there.

Just done a comparison of seed prices from start of year with the new seed catalogue and there's definitely noticeable signs of rising prices.

Secretary of allotment association locally said the same last year when he priced up stock for the hut where we sell stuff.

Anyone else think that prices are on the rise?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed Prices
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 20:19 »
T&M say their prices are staying the same..........but they were already pricey ::)

Christine

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 20:58 »
I've been looking through the Kings Seeds catalogue and still had my last year's price list of what I bought so that's what set me thinking.

If you think that T&M is pricey, where does that leave Suttons and Mr Fothergills then as they are very comparable? :unsure:

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 20:59 »
I've heard a lot of people having a bit of a whinge at seed prices and I used to be one.....but after our first full year as a plot holder I have come to the conclusion that most represent very good value.......Apart from a few such as pumpkins and sweetcorn which didnt have many seeds ,most of what we bought last winter for this years planting still has plenty of seed left in the packets for next year.  In fact I dont think I will have to buy many seeds at all.........some,such as lettuce have over a thousand seeds and as long as I store them carefully I'm hoping to get 3 seasons lettuce out of one pack of webbs wonderful....all for not much more than a quid.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 22:59 »
It does seem a shame that the movement towards growing your own has pushed up prices of seed, plants and equipment. But that's demand and supply, folks.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 23:10 »
Yes, I've noticed that the prices have shot up too! :(
There are still places that do inexpensive seeds:
www.gardenbymail.co.uk

And if you get the heritage, open pollinated types- you not only get to grow varieties that are often far tastier than the hybrids that are grown for resistance to disease rather than flavour... but you also can allow a couple of each veg type to run to seed, so you get a free supply for next year!!

:)

andy135

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 23:54 »
Yes, I've noticed that the prices have shot up too! :(
There are still places that do inexpensive seeds:
www.gardenbymail.co.uk

And if you get the heritage, open pollinated types- you not only get to grow varieties that are often far tastier than the hybrids that are grown for resistance to disease rather than flavour... but you also can allow a couple of each veg type to run to seed, so you get a free supply for next year!!

:)

Those prices may lookgood initially untill you look at the qty of seed which you get. I just checked their cobra french beans and you get 25 seeds for 0.78p. My packet of cobra from this year was 300 seeds for £1.78.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 00:02 »

Those prices may lookgood initially untill you look at the qty of seed which you get. I just checked their cobra french beans and you get 25 seeds for 0.78p. My packet of cobra from this year was 300 seeds for £1.78.

Wow, 300 bean seeds in one pack? Where do you get yours from? (I have a seed addiction!!)
(Though, in fairness, i don't think i'd grow more than 25 of one variety... I prefer having a few plants of many varieties)

I find Suttons and T&M crazily expensive these days. Just checked their Cobra, and its £3.40 for 70 seed!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 00:08 by TheSpartacat »

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 05:14 »
it's not just seed prices, but have you seen the cost of p&p that some charge!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 06:57 »
I've said this before, but Moles seeds are VERY hard to beat if you can handle in quantity, either by seed sharing or good storage. There is no P & P charge for the lightweight seeds AND you get a small discount for paying for your seeds at the time of ordering.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:17 »
I've said this before, but Moles seeds are VERY hard to beat if you can handle in quantity, either by seed sharing or good storage. There is no P & P charge for the lightweight seeds AND you get a small discount for paying for your seeds at the time of ordering.

DD just googled them and they look more cost effective than Suttons or the local Garden Centre - thanks for the tip

Christine

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 09:42 »
How do you compare packets of seeds which state an approximate number of seeds with the growing practice of selling by weight?

That has me confused.

noshed

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 10:52 »
Moles is good. Seeds of Italy also supply massive packets. We sell saved seeds in our lotty shop and some of them are brill - although the packets aren't that informative...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 13:14 »
Moles are great for the green manures compared to others. We use DT Browns on our site, they have used them since Tyrannosaurus rex was the site rep, get a decent bulk buy discount from them and on the whole pleased with their seeds.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

chuckie.egg

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 13:29 »
Hi Christine,  I hope this helps, if the allotments where you are is a member of the National Society of Allotment & leisure gardeners, you can receive a catalogue from Kings Seeds at Kelvedon Essex, tell no. 01376 570000 providing you have enough allotment holders interested in good and reasonably priced seeds, you will get a good discount for medium/large orders. Our allotments have been using them for a number of years without any probs.

xx
Seed Prices

Started by 3 allotments on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:56
by gavinjconway
xx
seed prices

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 16:00
by Snowboar
xx
Seed Garlic Prices

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 23:02
by Ema
xx
Rising seed prices

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 14:53
by Christine

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 37 queries.