Can you grow Red Onions "mid season"

• 3 Replies

skatenchips

Can you grow Red Onions "mid season"
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:37 »
We have recently pulled our Red Barons and were very pleased with the results,I think I planted the sets in nov/dec for a may/june crop.

Now then,me mate on the lotty said the reds dont store as well as whites and jude and I are BIG red eaters....so...I have just seen some red onion plants for sale in a local gardening centre
that are about 6/8 inches tall and I was wondering IF I planted em NOW would they crop this side of Christmas, considering the weather will no doubt chill as the year moves on and would probably effect the bulb growth.

I realise the accepted planting is Winter or spring but I found it strange seeing em for sale mid
 season,hence my Question today.

Cheers

Gazza

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Can you grow Red Onions "mid season"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:52 »
Any onions planted now will not make much bulb, so they'd be a waste of money in my opinion.

It's not so much the fact that red onions don't store well,  but winter grown ones don't irrespective of variety. A few have made the mistake of growing a large crop of them, but their main usefulness is just as a stop gap before the spring planted ones mature.

We see a lot of reports of stores selling plants out of season and it really does get your back up.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:54 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

skatenchips

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:36 »
Some wise words Dave,and thank you for the prompt reply as we thought of planting some this weekend mate.

Yes mate,it did surprise us to see the plants for sale but being new to the game we were not sure if you could squeeeeeze em in mid season.

The same ground will be used for winter greens instead.... ;)

Cheers

Gazza

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:58 »
Hi - I put a late crop in last year as I brought a bag of sets from Wilkos reduced to 50p. I put them in around the end of May & got a not bad crop from them. They certainly wern't any where near the size of the main crop but they were worth having & I only finished the last of them in March they kept great. Personally though I wouldn't bother buying any now, the price they charge for plants & the chance of what you will get isn't worth it in my opinion. Be cheaper & easier to buy them.
As DD says over winter onions generally are not great keepers but a good stop gap between the main lot you put in in March time.  Least you now know for next year & you can plan & work out what you like/dislike what you ran out of/grew too much of this year & organise yourself accordingly. This year I grew lots more Garlic only to loose 95% of one type to white rot, so not a happy bunny! >:(

xx
"Spring Onions Are One Of The Easiest Things To Grow" :(

Started by garrarufa on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2022, 19:48
by Alank
xx
OH those Softball size Onions "Just how do you grow them"

Started by Otis on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 22:07
by Salmo
xx
My "plant discovery of the season"

Started by FatMog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 21:51
by mumofstig
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 31 queries.