"Spring Onions Are One Of The Easiest Things To Grow" :(

• 12 Replies

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
Yes they are, and if you can't grow them then you're a fool.

What?  :wub:

I can grow my red barons (from seed) with no fuss. My shallots can almost be thrown on the ground and given the stiff V for... vegetable (?)  :ohmy: and they will still turn out at THEE *ahem* shhh-allotted time (sorry).  :nowink: But give me a packet of Lisbonites or similar, and I just can't seem to get past the thinning out stage.

At this point it's become something of a funny ongoing joke. I have done all the research I am willing to do, so the point of this post isn't about begging for tips on growing spring onions. No. I would rather like to hear funny, cute, harrowing, relationship-destroying (?) erm... just any vegetable you have always ultimately failed to grow time and time again. Love to hear some good long term struggles.  :D

P.S. Okra... anyone managed that in the UK?

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: "Spring Onions Are One Of The Easiest Things To Grow" :(
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 07:26 »
I used to sow them direct over the allotment and done OK. But last couple of years I have sown them at home in seed trays and then transplanted them over the allotment. This way I use less seed and get larger onions earlier as I can space them out straight away. Its a bit more of a faff but does pay off.

lettice

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 08:22 »
I do grow shallots, but buy the actual bought bags of them and put out late March. Only use these for pickled onions, picked later in the year.

I do grow spring(salad) onions as seed.
Have found sowing them outside never seems to work well. They germinate badly, even when it gets warmer.
I place a clump of about 6-8 seeds of the spring onion seeds in modules indoors.
Will be doing later this in the next week or so in successional module sowings every fortnight till end April and then plant them out in their final destination in their successional planting from end March and pick them till through Summer and Autumn.
That way you get a nice small clump to pick and do not need to separate them at all. Works very well for spring onions.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 09:08 »
we are growing several varieties of spring onion this season I don't like a strong spring onion and have also grew some spring onions overwinter that we are in the process of planting out in the allotments we also grow spring onions in large pots for easy picking

all our spring onions are started of in modules in the greenhouse or poly tunnel that seem to be the best way for us to grow our spring onions and the Easiest best pulled before the weeds get hold  :nowink:

Plot94

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 15:36 »
Red cabbage - no matter how I try I never seem to get a decent size head, any other cabbage no problem, last year I grew some savoy's that topped 8lbs in weight  :D but the red drumhead grown in the same bed barely made sprout size  >:(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 20:45 »
Red cabbage - no matter how I try I never seem to get a decent size head, any other cabbage no problem, last year I grew some savoy's that topped 8lbs in weight  :D but the red drumhead grown in the same bed barely made sprout size  >:(

I can grow decent red cabbage with no problem, but have struggled with the winter cabbages for the last 2 years.  I think the weather may be at play here, but my January Kings last year were very patchy.  A couple of good ones and the rest decreasing down in size to the ‘is it worth the faff of prepping them’ runts  >:(

My other cabbage related black thumb is spring greens.  I tried again with the dregs of the seed pack last year and hoiked what was left of them out in disgust a few weeks ago now.  Overwintering on my plot just seems to make them lose the will to live  ::) 

I’ve sneakily bought some plug plants from the garden centre and will bung them in and claim them as mine if they work this time  ;)  :lol:

lettice

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 09:22 »
we are growing several varieties of spring onion this season I don't like a strong spring onion and have also grew some spring onions overwinter that we are in the process of planting out in the allotments we also grow spring onions in large pots for easy picking

White Lisbon, the favourite of most and Myself has a mild flavour and sits well in salads and do love the long greenery for the stir fries etc.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 17:36 »
They also bulb up if you let them and you get a nice mild onion. Doesn't store well though

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 19:57 »
I can't grow spring onions either!!  :wacko: ::) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 20:23 »
I can't grow spring onions either!!  :wacko: ::) :lol:
Same here  ::)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 07:49 »
I find sowing in modules and planting out in bunches, or sowing in a 4" deep tray works for me.. kept in my greenhouse until it's time to move them outside never had a problem!

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 12:12 »
Yeah, here are mine, module multi sown. Santero, hytech, white Lisbon, walla walla and zebrune shallots.
IMG_20220317_153004292_HDR.jpg
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:14 by Snow »

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 19:48 »
I've always been really good at growing the things I'm not so fussed about eating and only appear to struggle with the vegetables that I really enjoy eating.  :)

xx
OH those Softball size Onions "Just how do you grow them"

Started by Otis on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 22:07
by Salmo
xx
Can you grow Red Onions "mid season"

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 08:58
by Sharonx
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Want a Garden or land to grow fruit and veg, try "Landshare"

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 19:16
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 51 queries.