soft shell egg

• 14 Replies

pepsi100

soft shell egg
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:45 »
I have a hen that is laying a soft shell egg, she does it while roosting, sometimes it breaks, sometime it dont, but none of the others even look at it, I dont know which one it is though

I have put oyster shell out for them, they wont touch grit, the get this apple cider vinegar in their water

Anything else I can do to get a good egg from her ?

(As I dsont know which hen it is, they all get the same stuff)

I did try and do a search on this, so sorry if its been asked before
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:55 by DD. »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: soft shell egg
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:36 »
It is a very talked about subject 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?action=search2

The basics are feed good quality layers pellets, fresh water, cut out all treats.  Green leafy vegetables will help your hens absorb the calcium needed to form a good shell.  Hens should always have access to grit and oyster shell even if they don't seem to be eating them.  If they are freeranging put a feeder with layers pellets and drinker where they freerange.  Some people recommend cod liver oil but this must only be in tiny amounts so as not to damage their liver.  A final thing if it is really presistent would be lime stone flour which improves the shell quality but should not be used long term.

Causes of softies can vary from, young bird getting the hang of things.  Older bird coming to the end of laying.  Weather can affect the passage of the egg as well as the bird having a fright (the egg passes through too quickly so the shell is not properly formed).  Molting takes it out of a bird as they need to produce new feathers.  A worm infestation, redmites and lice can also interfere with the quality of the shell.

Persistent soft shelled eggs if everything has been tried could be down to the breeding of the bird.  So much emphasis is put on egg production there are bound to be some hens that just can't cope.

If I have left anything out I am sure someone else will add more.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25 »
Yes I have done all that, I get the best layers mash I can buy  (everyone tells me to get the best but never says what the best actually is)

I have never used pellets, I have never know how fresh they are, my mash comes with a production date, which is usually less than 3 days old and the mill isnt far from me

They get to graze on grass,

They get fresh greens each day,

They have fresh water each day,

They have oyster shell to peck at,

They browse the garden for bugs,

They get a treat of maize and mixed corn once a week

These are young (ish) birds, they have got into laying, they use the nest box each time they lay

They arent coming to the end of their laying life

In my previous postings, it says the type and breed of my hens, including where they came from and their age And you have replied to most of my postings  ANHBUC

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:38 »
In my previous postings, it says the type and breed of my hens, including where they came from and their age And you have replied to most of my postings  ANHBUC

They all merge in to one after replying to so many (well that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it, what do you mean it could be my age)!!!! :wacko:

Just keep any eye on it and any drop in egg production in case the hen has one break inside her.  If they have just started to lay recently it may just be a glitch.  It could be a noise at night that is frightening her and she is laying as a result from the perch.  I think I have read that they sometime lay when a predator is around, possibly to distract them and then they can escape.  It does sound plausible.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:50 »
I dont think my wife would like being called a predator (maybe she is an under cover cougar :), she puts them to bed at night

(is it worth leaving a night light on for them ?) I used that in the winter months

Age has nothing to do with forgeting this and being a Mod can be fun or hard work :) ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 13:05 by pepsi100 »

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:53 »
Did I forget something  :unsure:

It usually is when I am busy, I do usually remember but it is when I don't need to know any more.   :lol:

They don't need a light it would probably put their body clock out of sync. 

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 15:09 »
One thing which may or may not help is that hens need vitamin D to help them absorb calcium. I think this is generally more of a problem in the winter months when they get less daylight (like us the sun helps them to produce vitamin D naturally themselves).

If the hen is lacking in vitamin D12 then a small amount of cod liver oil, perhaps mixed into their pellets, can help.
Helen

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 16:51 »
I heard access to greens helps them absorb calcium too, maybe throw in a cabbage. I use Haygates layers pellets and have had a couple of soft shells but it was during the winter months when a couple of the new to lay birds were getting the hang of things. Is it soft as in jelly like or just a thin shell that cracks easily?

If there isnt enough bedding in the nesting boxes we get the odd cracked egg.

It sounds like you are doing everything correct! One thing you could add is a garlic clove to their water and flubenvet for worming. We had a hen who wasnt laying (and could of been the source of the couple of soft shelled eggs) then we wormed her with flubenvet and she is laying a perfect egg most days. We still dont know if it was the wormer or the weather that caused a glitch with her. All I do know is that she had the most messy bum out of all the hens. If yours has a messy bum i'd try the worming thing.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 20:54 »
as has been said you could try limestone flour but only a small amount, you get it from reptile supplies stores (or from that good old auction site). Only give this for about 5 days.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 09:17 »
I had a hen who laid well but the eggs had a very poor shell quality. All the other hens were fine - sometimes it doesn't matter what you do! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 09:19 »
true Sassy, sometimes their body isn't able to absorb calcium very well.

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 08:00 »
I have a similar problem with my hens. Two seem to be laying during the night, as each morning I find two broken eggs in the tray under their roosts.  Would a dummy egg in a nesting box help? They are only 18 weeks old so I am inclined to put it down to youth, but would like to ensure that they get the hang of using the nesting boxes.  Any advice welcome. Hen no 3 uses the nesting box during the day, albeit producing very small but perfectly formed eggs at present. I have had the hens for one week, so the fact that they are laying already is a bonus.

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:45 »
They often lay in the wrong place when starting to lay as it takes them by suprise. Hopefully they will use the nesting box soon. You could try the dummy egg but personally a well designed coop should do the trick. :)

pepsi100

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53 »
Mine all use the nest box now to lay eggs, but its where they used to sleep before I put perches up for them, I give them a porridge of layers mash and mix in plenty of oyster shell grit and have ground up old egg shells and mix that in with it and I havent had an egg laid outside of the nest boxes or any more soft shell eggs

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:33 »
It is quite normal for young birds to lay soft shelled eggs and lay from the perch.  They will lay at different times of the day as it takes 24 - 26 hours for the egg to form.  So next time they get the urge they will hopefully have chance to get to the nest box.   ;) 

xx
Soft shell

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 19:17
by Bubbles
xx
Soft Shell

Started by chookaburra on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 17:04
by chookaburra
xx
SOFT SHELL.......

Started by darby on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 10:35
by Oliveview
xx
First soft shell egg

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 20:52
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 30 queries.