Stupid Question of the Day - Help needed

• 3 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Stupid Question of the Day - Help needed
« on: April 24, 2012, 21:33 »
I accidently picked up a bag of layers mash today instead of pellets <face palm> which I have never fed them on before. I haven't time to swap the bag as completely ran out of pellets this morning so will just have to use it.

Assuming that they will touch the stuff how should I use it? I did a quick search of the forum and there seems to be a dry versus wet debate? Will changing their feed affect their egg production?

Cheers

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Stupid Question of the Day - Help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 21:35 »
It's the same stuff, so won't affect eggs unless they refuse to eat it!  But don't give them any treats for a couple of days, hungry hens will eat.

I've occasionally made up a mash with layers mash, just mixing it with a little warm water, but dry is better generally.  If they don't eat the wet stuff You will have to chuck it as it can go mouldy and you don't want your girls eating mould.

They should eat it after a day or so.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32 »
I have just been given some layers mash from a friend with a Freerange poultry farm.  I thought they might not like it so I threw a handful in to their enclosure and they gobbled it up.  If they think it is a treat they will eat it!   ::)  Try a handful and then put the rest in their feeder.  As Grannie said, if they are hungry they will eat.

PS - No such thing as a Stupid question, asking is better than not learning.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:34 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 19:41 »
Most of mine are on course layers mash - fed dry and they really love it, the lot I put in a tray they gobble up and the rest that is in feeders they eat the same as they do their pellets and no mess which most people associate with mash. I think I have 2 who won't touch it and prefer their layers pellets.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
stupid question?

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 22:55
by joyfull
xx
Stupid Question

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 20:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
this may be a stupid question...

Started by brownp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 16:01
by craig1981
xx
this mite be a stupid question

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 18:47
by karlooben

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 34 queries.