foxes

• 9 Replies

Selkie

foxes
« on: September 20, 2007, 17:20 »
when i was driving home from work the other night i saw a fox running across the road, just up the road from our house (this isn't really that surprising...) BUT :shock:  - it's got me thinking about the possible threat to our hens.

are foxes more likely to get in and attack hens at night? I don't think i've ever seen one out and about in the daytime.

we shut the girls in at night so i'm confident they're safe enough then but what about in the daytime when i'm out at work and they're out in the run?

do foxes attack in the daytime - or am i worrying over nothing? we've had the hens since march and haven't had any problems like that, even though there are foxes and mink in the area (the mink are escapees from our local mink farm :evil: )

can anyone help!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
foxes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 17:31 »
Foxes mainly are active at night, dusk, and dawn.  But when they need food eg. winter time or when they have cubs  they will hunt for food during the day time too !!!!!! (and chickens is loverly grub)

The chicken run and house should be constructed to be fox proof but foxes can dig quite deep, jump over a 7 ft wall or fence, chew through chicken wire and wooden shed pannels if they can find  small place to start on.

If your chooks free range is is impossible to keep Mr (or Mrs) Fox away.  Some people (me included) us an ultrasonic device called a FoxWatch to deter visits.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
foxes
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 17:41 »
If you live in town then urban foxes are alot less fearful these days and are certainly sniffing around during the day.  I hadn't realised that they could chew through the shed though - I keep mine in a locked shed at night with a fully enclosed solid pen attached to it.  Paving slabs burried around the edges.  What is this foxwatch deterrent Aunty?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
foxes
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 17:46 »
http://www.grovelands.com/acatalog/concept-research-foxwatch-animal-deterrent.html

Some might say it's not cheap.  But being foxed is not a nice experience  :cry:

stickywicket

foxes
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 09:03 »
Has anyone tried electrified netting. I need to fence off an area of my garden and this looks like a good option but very expensive as you have to buy an energizer and battery and battery charger.

With the Foxwatch how do you know when the battery needs changing?

muntjac

foxes
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 10:55 »
check ebay for electric fencing.. :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
foxes
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 13:57 »
Quote from: "stickywicket"
With the Foxwatch how do you know when the battery needs changing?

The little red light doesn't come on and the unit does't make a clicking sound when activated !

Clodbuster

foxes
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 15:48 »
I read about this Foxwatch and would love to see some authoritative analysis on its effectiveness. I know similar devices have been tried on other animals with only short term success at best.

I'll stick with Electric fencing that has been proven to work until  I'm convinced. There is a free range duck farm near us that has only 4 wires around a huge field and as it is a commercial enterprise I can't see them sticking with that if it was not efficient.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
foxes
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 15:54 »
I would use electric fencing to CB in the area was large and open, but not possible in my small back garden.

I have been told by a neighboru that the local foxes go through their garden and over there carport rather than coming into my garden.  It is impossible to prove a negative I suppose and my chooks have not been foxed (I don't want to add yet!).

The RSPB use CatWatch to protect their bird nesting sites, so they must have some faith in that product.

Foxy

foxes
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 20:57 »
Hi

I have to say - foxes do attack during the day particulary in the spring when they have cubs.  I have electric fencing and this works. I have watched (rather anxiously!!) a huge dog fox come down and pace around  no closer than 2 feet outside the fence he didn't see me stood watching -it was awesome to watch almost as if he knew it was electrified. I have lost only one hen in the last year to the fox and I don't begrudge that.

xx
foxes

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 11:56
by T C
xx
What to do about the foxes?

Started by Pinti on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 15:48
by helens-hens
xx
foxes

Started by Henny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 09:14
by Viv
xx
foxes

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 16:52
by shetan

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 29 queries.