What to do about the foxes?

• 21 Replies

Pinti

What to do about the foxes?
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:50 »
We recently had an motion triggered light fixed outside our back door, coincidently above our rabbit hutch. The side effect of this is we now know how many foxes visit us.

It started with one lone fox, then two and last night there were three running around the back garden.

The chicken coop is well fenced in but I am nervous that three (or more) hungry foxes will find a way in.

Does anyone know of a humane way to remove the foxes? I know more will probably take their place but it would make me sleep a little better if there is a way to fight back and try and protect my chickens and ducks.

Casey76

Re: What to do about the foxes?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:04 »
The humane way of removing foxes is to set a fox trap, and then shoot any you catch.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13 »
I live with foxes now and I just make sure to the best of my ability that they can't get at my girls, by beefing up security with the housing and run, and watching them constantly if they're free ranging.  Locking them away in the run before dusk and then going back later to lock them in for the night

I don't believe that because we choose to keep hens we have to start killing foxes.  My girls were badly mauled by a fox but that was a lesson to me to sort out my defences.  I don't feel any ill will to the fox and it's just nature.   Live and let live.  It's not just foxes either, they are at risk from dogs and ferrets etc so you can't kill everything just because it presents a danger

kev1986

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 14:56 »
this time of year there are on the hunt all over i do a lot of pest control especially on farm for fox and at this time of year they are loooking to stock uo whatever they can because the cubs will be due in the next few weeks if they not already here and she will not leave the den to feed for herself so is totally self sufficent while down the hole and then the other femals in the area who are lower in the pack will bring her food after rations are gone ,

the best advice apart from trapping wtc is to get a little radio and put it on radio 4 were there is a lot of talking and put it on quite and place it on top of the hen house it dont have to be loud as there hearing 30 times better than ours, alos the trick of using male urine around the pen at this time of year actually does more damage cos males are lookign to fight for territory and will coem it to the smell to see if they can win over territory

good luck
kev

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 14:58 »
Thanks for that tip. I shall go and set it up now. Thanks

Someone bought me a little radio for Christmas  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 15:08 »
but don't forget you have set the radio up otherwise you might frighten yourself thinking somebody is outside in the dark  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pinti

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 16:21 »
That's excellent advice, I'll give it a go tonight.

thanks

kev1986

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 21:48 »
radio 4 has never had so many listeners !!!!!! :tongue2:

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 23:08 »
Well I tried it and the girls seemed quite happy with it. Don't know about the fox though although he did keep away. Perhaps he prefers Radio 1  :D

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 23:29 »
I think the radio 4 trick is a great idea, I am sure the girls will feel right at home with a daily dose of the Archers too!
Helen

kev1986

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 16:37 »
if they live in urban area cant snare because of risk of catching cats etc and as for live trap i take it the owner does not have a way of dispatching the fox  (gun etc) as it is illegal to release vermin (fox), and if it is urban i think its a big no no for shooting cant imagine the neighbours been to pleased with a .223 going off at 2 am ,

totally agree if live on farm etc snare , trap, shoot, get the terriers in etc .

we try take as many fox as possible this time of year especially running up to lambing time but in urban area or no way of dispatch i think the women would rather put the radio on than have to go out and shoot foxes
atb
kev

daisy1990

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 18:10 »
or set up an electric fence, seems to work for folks
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

jinty1911

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 20:09 »
I always leave the radio on, kitchen light on and the window open a fraction but it's to deter the human wild live around here rather than the foxes  :D

kev1986

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 18:46 »
sorry mate but as that is highly illegal i think i will pass using a firearm within a built up area or within 50 feet of a built up area is illegal never mind shooting from a house if it bounces u not a clue were it is going , i shoot hundreds a year on farms etc but never from ahouse lol , also in my County the smalest calliber which can be legally used for fox is a 22 hornet
atb
kev

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 19:12 »
Ypu'd find it very difficult in my garden Tom - modern housing estate.

xx
foxes

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 11:56
by T C
xx
foxes

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 16:52
by shetan
xx
foxes

Started by Henny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 09:14
by Viv
xx
F***** foxes

Started by snozzer on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 22:20
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.