Planting fruit trees

• 6 Replies

sawnee

• Experienced Member
Planting fruit trees
« on: February 13, 2009, 14:46 »
I have got myself four fruit trees, two for the allotment and two for the garden. There are a Bramley, Cox Orange Pippin, Comice Pear and a Victoia Plum.
The problem I have is that (I may be wrong) isn't there a disease that fruit trees can get from rotting tree stumps, the reason I ask is that one of the "garden" trees planting spot is about three feet away from a conifer that I intend to cut down at the weekend. The conifer is about eight inches in diameter (trunk) and about eight feet high.
Also one of the "allotment" trees planting spots is very near an old Damson tree/bush stump.
Will I be in for trouble if I plant them there?  There is no set ideas as to what trees go where, except for the Bramley, this I think would be better off on the allotment.
Is there anything special I should do to give the trees a good start when they go in?
Need some help please guys ::)
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

Trillium

Re: Planting fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 15:59 »
I'm not familiar with UK tree diseases, but plums could carry black knot which is an ugly lump that forms on branches. It doesn't kill the tree but does diminish vigour, and it will spread if left unchecked (meaning, cut down and burned). The signs are very noticeable if your existing tree has it. Conifers can carry rust disease which is cross-hosted by currants, but unless you see orange spots all over the tree limbs, don't worry about it. I've never heard of rotting stumps carrying diseases, just fungus from the rot. I doubt you'll be planting right in the stump so there's nothing to worry about there either.

Starting a fruit tree: dig a good sized hole, amend it well with old manure, compost, bone and/or blood meal, mychorizal bacteria (encourages feeder roots) and whatever other 'good stuff' you have. It'll be there a long time and needs a healthy start. Water the hole well, let it drain off, then plant your tree to the same height as it was in the pot, or to the noticeable groundline mark on the trunk. As you fill the hole, stop and tamp in the soil with your foot (but don't crush roots) to eliminate air pockets which are death to trees, repeating until almost full. Water again, let drain, top with final soil layer, press down and mulch. For the first year the tree will need frequent watering if the season is dry. If you feel the tree needs a support, add it before filling in the hole, but most dwarf trees don't need support. If any flowers or fruit appear the first year, pick them off asap to return energy to the growing tree.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 16:14 by Trillium »

treacleminer

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 16:10 »
I have got myself four fruit trees, two for the allotment and two for the garden. There are a Bramley, Cox Orange Pippin, Comice Pear and a Victoia Plum.

Do you know what other trees are on the allotments/gardens near you?  I know Victoria plums don't need a pollinator (although the damson would act as one) but the others may do better if there are other trees in the same pollination groups near by.  Might influence your choice of what goes where :)

vegikev

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 16:11 »
hi. which 2 trees are going where? have you thought about pollination?
"mission"to grow bigger veg than my brother

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 16:26 »
the mane proplem tith planting fruit trees close to stumps is hony fungas
dig up an area around the stumps looking for black [boot lace] tenderels if you finde enny of these then treat the area with a strong fungeside like copper sulphate or jays fluid then you shuld be fine

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 20:15 »
The conifer is still growing healthily at the moment (haven't cut it down yet) so there is no signs of black bootlaces, there are loads of fruit trees in my neighbors gardens and there are plenty at the allotment so pollonation shouldn't be a problem.  The Honey fungus is the one I had heard of, would there be any risk to the tree as the conifer stump rots over the coming years?

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 20:19 »
just keep an eye open and things will be fine :D

xx
Planting fruit trees - help !

Started by Moomin Mama on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 20:13
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Planting under fruit trees

Started by Seagull on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 03, 2020, 21:23
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Best time for planting new fruit trees?

Started by Jeff Glanrhyd on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 22:57
by Jeff Glanrhyd
xx
Fruit trees- planting distance etc

Started by Shamps on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 07:25
by courgette

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 28 queries.