Planting fruit trees - help !

• 8 Replies

Moomin Mama

« on: August 19, 2008, 11:41 »
I have acquired another allotment plot and so we would now like to branch out into fruit as well as more veg.  We would like to plant an apple tree, cherry tree, plum tree, raspberries and maybe a climbing kiwi up the side of the shed.  When is the best time to buy and then plant them ?  I am in Wrexham North Wales, if thats any help.

Niki

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:41 »
All those will be available to buy in the spring, Aldi, Lidl and Wilkinsons all sell really cheep trees about March – April time, I bought Kiwi at Lidl for about £4 each this year
Paul

penance

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:48 »
It's better to plant in the winter/autumn tho. Gives time for roots to settle before top growth.

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:49 »
Hi moomin,
Most fruit trees, apples, plums, pear etc are planted when the tree is dormant during winter/early spring - Nov/dec should be ideal. Raspberries/ fruit canes again when dormant. A kiwi friut tree I'd have no idea.

Around my way (Notts) the proper garden nurseries (those that actually  grow & propagate things - no tea shop!) tend to get all the friut trees/canes in from late September/Early Oct. It will be worth visiting a knowledgeable nursery as they can advise about cross pollination for fruit tree varieties.
cheers amc

Knoblauch

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 13:00 »
Great thread Moonin, I was looking for something like this as I'm in the same boat as you.

Lots of info here but one question I have is could a tree or vine be on an east-facing fence, this would only get the sun till midday, or would it suffer for lack of sun?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 14:47 »
Depends on the height of the tree and whether or not the fence is solid or a type of slat. If a slatted type, then the tree should do okay. If solid, you might do okay with something more delicate like peach or apricot which would be shielded from damaging winds. In summer you'll get the east and high overhead noon sun which would still be fine.

Moomin Mama

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 19:39 »
Thanks so much for everyone's replies.  Maybe I'll get some for my birthday in December then :-)

gobs

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 19:56 »
It's really worth looking at serious places, as said, and pay more, unless you know the variety named or very good and confident, it's a long term investment.

Pollination touched, but over important, depending. All pears, really, most apples, etc., most fruit does crop better in company. Look around in the area, before committing yourself to save space and sorrow. If you have trees around, you save a pollinator's space, just got to get something that flowers the same time.  

Most kiwis need a mate, you are looking for self-fertile varieties if having just one.

And flavour is also important when it comes to a long term expensive crop. Go around on tasters in the autumn, well worth it, you'll learn a lot, too.

East facing fence only will do for hardy stuff, the worst frost scenario to put anything touchy and tender into.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 20:13 »
One thing to keep in mind re apple trees is that they are sometimes self sterile, meaning that their own pollen won't pollinate the flowers so you need another tree that flowers at the same time.

Have a look at this website that has a really comprehensive database of trees and shows what other trees they would be compatible with.

xx
Planting fruit trees

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 20:19
by nobby
xx
Planting under fruit trees

Started by Seagull on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 03, 2020, 21:23
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Fruit trees- planting distance etc

Started by Shamps on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 07:25
by courgette
xx
Best time for planting new fruit trees?

Started by Jeff Glanrhyd on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 22:57
by Jeff Glanrhyd

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 28 queries.