Germinating onion / leek seed in the ground ?

• 13 Replies

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Germinating onion / leek seed in the ground ?
« on: March 31, 2009, 08:50 »
Hi all,
Anyone else here getting trouble germinating onion seed direct in the ground?
I've been successful using seed trays then transplanting, really good germination yet when I sow to ground I get really sporadic results, for example, September last year I planted some over-wintering seed 'Senshyu' and for an experiment a row of 'bedfordshire champion'. All sown at the same time next to each other, not one senshyu seed germinated yet the whole row of 'bedfordshire champion' germinated. Ironically they survived the winter so I thought I'd sow these again next to the successful row, again scant germination, 1 or 2 have poked their heads through after a month.
I'm wondering is it not enough watering? I admit i haven't done it every day, maybe every 2 - 3 days. The soil is clay though there is a fair amount of humus in there now.
I've just sown some more in trays but also planted more to soil and this time covered with polythene to help keep the moisture in.
I'd really like to crack this, anyone got any tips, thanks!?

Regards,
Wayne.
Cheers,

Wayne.

Salmo

Re: Germinating onion / leek seed in the ground ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:09 »
I planted onions in the groung on 23rd Feb and they are just showing through now.

pushrod

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26 »
I would always start onions ands leek seed off in trays insde and then transplant them. They, particularly leek seed, can take a long time to come up so being in the outside soil all that time increases the chances of some nasty getting to them.

With leeks i don't transplant them until they are quite big and then i trim them  and water  them into 8" holes. That way you will get a big white stem.

Edit : when i start onion seed i do so in trays, but for leeks i use troughs so you can leave them in longer.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 15:09 by pushrod »
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:27 »
So my holland blood red planted 8th March might still come through? ???
Good job i've not posted the replacement order then :lol: :lol:
Keep my fingers x d :)

madcat

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:03 »
My red onion seeds - planted at the same time as the white - are ways behind.  They took at least an extra fortnight to show and dont grow as fast.   >:( 

Patience never was my strong suit!   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 12:07 »
Sounds like I should be patient too  :blink: I thought a month was long enough but perhaps a few more weeks won't hurt...

I've read on here about getting deep trays (cat litter) for planting the leeks which I can see is a good idea; when I use ordinary trays I feel there is just not enough soil, by the time the plants 8" high the roots are a mass and the compost well depleted of nutrients. But if I can crack getting them going in the soil in a prepared seed bed (the old boys way  :D ) they'll have loads of nutrients and more water to boot.
I've done a tray of both onions and leeks as a backup plan anyway.

Cheers,
Wayne.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 17:17 »
For that very reason this year I've sown my leeks in an old plastic mushroom
box, lined it with newspaper added compost, now got a mini lawn.
All standing to attention with their little black crash hats on  ;)  ;)

Also given so much extra  room in said basket sown a little more sparodically.
So they should be easier to seperate when the time comes...hopefully.. ::)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 17:23 »
This year I have tried growing leeks for the first time and all the seeds that I have been growing (in trays in the g/h) are coming up doubled over... is this normal?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 17:25 »
yup they eventually straighten out :)

rictic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 18:33 »
I have just transplanted my seed tray grown leeks into thier own (yoghurt) pots.  Wait until they are pencil thick then plant out into slightly wider holes, fill with water and leave.
Some say that trimming the roots in half helps but I forget why!

Keep the faith.

Rictic.

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 20:49 »
Hi, I've tried trimming the roots and leaves and left some rows untouched  as an experiment... I couldn't see any difference!  :blink:

Cheers,
Wayne.

pushrod

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 22:10 »
Just read your first post again - the reason why you will have got such poor germination for bedfordshire champion now compared to last september would almost certainly be soil temperature.
The only time i think i have come across senshyu is as sets - are they the japanese onions?
As far as watering goes i would think it much more preferable to water properly every 2 or 3 days than a dribble every day.

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 08:56 »
Just read your first post again - the reason why you will have got such poor germination for bedfordshire champion now compared to last september would almost certainly be soil temperature.
The only time i think i have come across senshyu is as sets - are they the japanese onions?
As far as watering goes i would think it much more preferable to water properly every 2 or 3 days than a dribble every day.
I'm not sure about the temperature, you may have a point, it is the correct time of year for sowing though and we are in the warmer southern end of England, on the other hand the soil is clay which tends to make it colder/clammy.
I've put plastic sheeting over a 2nd sowing after watering the rows before sowing, I'll see if this makes a difference as it'll raise the soil temperature and keep the soil moist for longer without the need for frequent watering.
I tend to think that with seeds you need to water more frequently as the seeds are in the top half inch of soil where it is the most dry, I do water properly though but gently and make sure that it gets a proper watering not just wetting the surface.
The downside of watering seeds is the risk of washing the seeds further down too....
The onion seed Senshyu is a Japanese over-wintering variety.

pushrod

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 22:22 »
[.
I've put plastic sheeting over a 2nd sowing after watering the rows before sowing, I'll see if this makes a difference as it'll raise the soil temperature and keep the soil moist for longer without the need for frequent watering.

good luck with your seeds. A useful way of getting soil temp up is to cover the ground with black material. I have an old black rubber butyl pond liner which is cut into long strips that i will lay on the ground a month or two before sowing. It also has the advantage of bringing a lot of the slugs up onto the undersurface of the sheet that you can either pick of or lace with slug pellets.

xx
leek and red onion for seed

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 19:22
by dmg
xx
saving onion and leek seed

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 10:42
by rachelsco
xx
Leek seeds......not germinating?!

Started by Faithmead on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 13:38
by Faithmead
xx
Can I sow leek seeds straight into the ground (tub)?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 21:58
by pushrod

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 30 queries.