Runner Beans

• 13 Replies

wyandotty

Runner Beans
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:19 »
I have just been looking at runner bean seeds and have noticed a stringless variety.  Has anybody tried these before?  I normally grow Red Emperor.

Have got my newspaper pots all made up and ready, OH thouht I had gone mad and was going back to my childhood!  Will sow them over the Easter weekend, or should they already be in?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:55 »
This chart might help
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

I don't start mine till the middle of the month. :)
As for stringless beans, i've not grown them but most beans are stringless if you pick them young, they don't have to be thick and a foot long like the shop ones..........they can be young and tender :D YUM my fave

noshed

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:56 »
Not too late, a bit early if anything. They hate frost and you will need to plant them out as soon as they are a reasonable size.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Ropster

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:15 »
I have a stringless variety this year, but the OH will probably chop the edges off anyway

grew best of all last year and they were fine when small

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:21 »
Which variety were you looking at ? I've grown Desiree http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/176/1.html for  the last couple of years, although they're stringless they do get rather hard if you leave them too long on the plant. Nice taste to them too.

Plenty of time to get your runner in yet - I always forget to cover things if we have a late frost so I tend not to plant the runners out till all signs of frost are gone. last year they were sown 02/05  :ohmy: still had a freezer full of beans by the end of the year.  :D  :D

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:22 »
The variety I grew last year was completely stringless unless I let the beans go enormous (by mistake) - highly recommend it - called Polestar. Lovely taste too.

You're aiming to plant them out after all fear of frost has gone (late May, early June where I am) - just count back from there. I'm going to plant them mid/late April in pots in the greenhouse to be ready to go out 4-6 weeks later.
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

wyandotty

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 15:18 »
Thanks everybody, I will leave them a bit longer then.  Why do all the garden centres have them out so early, for me a beginner, they confuse me!

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 16:45 »
Mine (Enorma) were planted into paperpots (Richy) last week in my Greenhouse as were my French Beans (Blauhilde and a green one)  :)

But they wont go to the allotment till the end of April or beginning of May! :D

I am going to grow the runners on a 'V' frame instead of a wigwam or 'A' frame, this year!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 16:48 by Beejay »
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 17:32 »
we grow cobra beans , 8 inches long , smooth, ours are just poking through the pots now , will be ready by end of april , when picked , top and tail them , cut to requires length, pop into freezer , no need to blanch

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 18:33 »

Have grown Desiree and White lady , Both superb stringless white flowered , And very
 heavy cropping .
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 22:07 »
Thanks everybody, I will leave them a bit longer then.  Why do all the garden centres have them out so early, for me a beginner, they confuse me!

There was an op-ed in the latest RHS magazine about this.  Basically, some terrifying proportion of the UK's gardening budget is spent in a couple of months on young summer bedding (with young vegetables as a related side-line).  The garden centres try to spread out the rush (and you can't really blame them), which is fine for experienced or commercial gardeners who can grow things on under cover, but less good for enthusiastic beginners without greenhouses.  The columnist was complaining that she's never yet been reminded when buying tender plants that they need to be grown on under cover until after the frosts.  What we need is big signs saying "pot on and grow indoors" or something.  Also, if you have a polytunnel and want to get an early bean crop, then now probably would be OK, and there are parts of the country that probably aren't expecting more frosts.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 21:06 »

It's all about the time-value of money. Your money in their pocket today is better for them than your money in their pocket in 1 month's time. The problem I have is that they put these things out so early that it encourages us to buy because we're afraid that stuff will run out when we really need it. I went to buy some 2nd early potatoes yesterday - couldn't find Maris Peer locally for love nor money.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 21:28 »
I grew Galaxy last year they are stringless, but TBH they are not the tastiest bean on the market and loose nearly all flavour in the freezer  :( I'm trying Wisley Magic this year and will not be sowing them until late April.

So they die and you buy more later, is my thought  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 22:37 »
i have bought 2 varieties scarlet emporer and ferrari stringless dont know how they will do as i didnt get a chance to try last year as vandals wrecked all our hard work
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans / kiddney beans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 38 queries.