How to make a dust bath??

• 24 Replies

lisa80

Re: How to make a dust bath??
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 12:29 »
we did give our girls a tray but the smaller girls have decided to go under the coop(its on a pallet) and dig a hole there for their baths :blush:

carolbriar

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 10:38 »
I put the plastic box out filled with sand/compost and they just ignored it!  In the end I poured the lot into a corner of the run by a post where they seemed to be trying to do something there.  Two of the girls had filthy chests where I presume they were trying to bath?  Anyway, now with the snow on the ground I won't know if that worked or not! 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

chooksbury

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 21:19 »
Re dust bathing .. I discovered half a dozen coir bricks in the garden shed left over from the last planting season.  When rubbed into bits between the fingers, it becomes soft, and very fine which my girls adore.  It's under their house in the space made by the legs of the stand.

chuckie.egg

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 22:03 »
What type of sand can you use.... any?

carolbriar

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 08:35 »
I've heard sharp sand mentioned several times :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 09:53 »
mine just make their dust baths in the dirt wherever they want - usually where I am going to not notice and fall in  :lol: :lol: I did try providing them with a bath filled with building sand but they ignored it   :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 17:15 »
I had some dry soil which I put in the corner where the girls had been scratching around and left them to it.  About two hours later found two of the girls having a lovely time.  Their chests were filthy!  I feel happier knowing they will have a dust bath outside rather than in the shavings in the coop!  Perhaps they will show the other 3 what to do!

carolbriar

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 19:03 »
Well, after all my attempts to make them a dust bath they did exactly as most people said, they made their own!  I found them using a corner of the run next to a post and so added a bit more soil, sand mixture and I would say 3 out of the 5 use it.  I do need to find a way of keeping it a bit drier though as there is no cover on it at all.  They seem to enjoy it which is the main thing. :)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 09:25 »
Mine have now dug a hole deep enough to bury a hen!! It's not dry, but it is under a tree so has some shelter.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Flowerpower136

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 10:59 »
Don't think it has to be bone dry for them, just loose enough so that they can easily dig down into it, and get it between their feathers.

I've just sorted out my compost area, and have a huge mountain of lovely compost ready for the garden . . . or at least that was the idea.

The girls have comandeered it.  Dust bathing, digging, even a bit of tunnelling.  I'll have to get them some pit props so they can do a proper job.  Though the rats seem to manage well enough without :tongue2:  They're back.  Time to get the Eradibait out again.

xx
What do I need to make a dust bath?

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 12:22
by Casey76
xx
Dust Bath

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 20:56
by HENrietta
xx
Dust bath

Started by Loulih on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 12, 2012, 20:30
by 8doubles
xx
Dust bath

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 09:57
by kitkat

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 32 queries.