chilli not germinated

• 16 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
chilli not germinated
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:52 »
I sewed a variety of chills on the 8 th of February still no sign.  The tomato aubergine are doing well and need reporting I am thinking about doing them again.  I realise they can be slow but last year I started in January and all came through.  It cannot be the seed because I sewed about six varieties.  Is this too long on the kitchen window thanks

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: chilli not germinated
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:39 »
I have had the same problem. I had sown 4x3 different chilli seeds and 4x1 pepper seed. 2 of 4 peppers have germinated but nothing else. They are on a south facing bathroom windowsill.  I too don't know whether to leave them or start again.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:47 »
Some take a time to germinate - a month now seems a bit OTT.. So for the price of a few seeds I'd do more as an emergency sowing..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:49 »
Chilli & peppers really do need to be nice and warm to germinate, and windowsills do get cold at night  :(

Perhaps try again and start them somewhere warmer til they've germinated?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50 »
Mine go in the bedroom. I'll make not comment about the temperature in there, other than it's consistently warm.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

m1ckz

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 09:06 »
ive got 2 germinated     just put them in the cupboard where the boiler id     eeeek

Ma Lowe

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:12 »
Hubby has just notified me that one of the cayenne chillies has leaves showing through. Now I Know that there were definitely none of them showing through when I looked earlier this morning.

Mine go in the bedroom. I'll make not comment about the temperature in there, other than it's consistently warm.

Just moved mine to the bedroom in the hope of some movement ......... Of the seeds that is  :D

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:16 »
approx half of mine have germinated so far and coming up to about a month since planting, so another sowing this weekend as a back up
who pinched me marrow?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:18 »
Are all the chilli seeds from the same packets you used last year?

If so it could be that although conditions seem very similar the fact that they are a year older has just tipped the balance in the wrong direction when it comes to germination.

There is probably no single gardening question with more conflicting answers than seed storage life, which is only partly due to the fact that storage conditions have a big impact on it.

THIS link suggests that seeds in the pepper family may be almost past it at 2 years, whereas THIS one suggests otherwise.  :unsure:

Not surprised to hear you've got a cayenne through Ma Lowe - it's always been the most reliable variety of pepper, chilli or sweet, for me.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58 »
It's probably not any comfort, but I am having the same problem with some of my chillies. 2 varieties have completely failed in a heated propagator, while all the others are up and on their second or third set of leaves.

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 10:09 »
Both my chili varieties have come up within a week, but that's with new seed on a sunny windowsill and and Aga pumping out heat day and night about 6' away. It is a very expensive way of getting good germination though ??? Oh, and they were sowed very shallow, only just covered by compost. I think the heat was the main factor though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:12 by Nobbie »

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 10:21 »
Chilli and sweet peppers are one of the few things I bother with a heated propagator for.   Normally the plastic bag and somewhere warm method works for me, but I get more success with peppers in a propagator.  I wonder if it is a more even heat without fluctuations that helps.

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 10:32 »
I do wonder if there are some duff seeds about.  :unsure: Normally I wouldn't have any problems with peppers but there are no signs of life at all with mine (3 varieties - 2 suppliers) it's been nearly a month. It's all fresh seed which is making me nervous  :( - I might sow some saved seeds

Ma Lowe

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 11:24 »
Well although its no consolation that others have the same problem it does make me feel better that i am not the only one. Bit gutted that seeds that were kindly sent to me have not come up (Sorry Surbie I failed) but i will leave them as they are and plant some more as well.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 08:10 »
Are all the chilli seeds from the same packets you used last year?

Mine were fresh seed. Have resown. Fingers crossed.

xx
why has my sweetcorn not germinated?

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 00:10
by WG.
clip
Parsnips Germinated!!

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 22:21
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Celeriac has germinated

Started by DigIt on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 17:19
by Schubunny
xx
Anyone's parsnips germinated yet

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 17:45
by WhippetMaster

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 30 queries.