why has my sweetcorn not germinated?

• 28 Replies

purplebat

« on: February 23, 2007, 18:26 »
I sowed some sweetcorn in pots, kept some on the window sill, and some in the greenhouse (experimenting to see which worked) but none of them have germinated, is theresomething specific i should have done, like covering the pots?
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 18:42 »
I don't know, but is it not a bit early to be sowing sweetcorn? You can't plant it out whilst there's a danger of a frost. I generally start mine off in April. In fact I just had a look at the packet of the ones I got from Thompson Morgan - it simply states "Sow May" - no range of months, but "Sow May"!!!!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 19:26 »
Sweetcorn is very prone to rotting if the soil is cold and as Digger Dave said, they cannot be planted out until all danger of frost has passed. In fact night minimum temps of 10c should be the guiding line.

"Sow May" is probably the recomendation for direct sowing but sowing in pots in April will help to get an early start. Sweetcorn though is not a crop that can be pushed too hard and later sowing-planting will probably give results at a similar time.

purplebat

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 19:40 »
ooops :oops:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 19:48 »
No one can knock you for lack of enthusiasm!! It's only a packet of seed.

I've had a closer look at the packets I've got and that is the instruction for indoor sowing. It says it can also be sown outside once the soil has warmed up. September then!

purplebat

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 19:56 »
I just looked back on mine, and it doesn't actually give a time to sow, it says to sow indoors, then plant out when the risk of frost has passed, it's called Early Xtra Sweet F1 Hybrid

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 19:59 »
I sow mine in a ice cream tub, no soil just damp kitchen towel in the bottom, lay the seeds out, put the lid on leave somwhere warm, check every other day. When I see they have got 1/2" of root, I transplant them into 3" pots in the greenhouse.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 20:05 »
Quote from: "purplebat"
I just looked back on mine, and it doesn't actually give a time to sow, it says to sow indoors, then plant out when the risk of frost has passed, it's called Early Xtra Sweet F1 Hybrid

That's really helpful isn't it!

I know we talk of global warming, but you can still get frosts in May, so you have to bear in mind that had they germinated, you would have to keep them indoors for 3 months. This is a long time and if you managed it you'd probably end up with tall, but very weak & spindly plants.

I risk planting out at the end of May, but the only reason I do that is because we always go away for a break at that time, and have to leave my daughter in charge. I reckon they stand a better chance against chilly nights!

purplebat

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 20:34 »
cheers for that, really helpful, I shall leave it now for a couple of months, you can tell I'm a beginner!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 22:40 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I sow mine in a ice cream tub, no soil just damp kitchen towel in the bottom, lay the seeds out, put the lid on leave somwhere warm, check every other day. When I see they have got 1/2" of root, I transplant them into 3" pots in the greenhouse.

That's what I've done with some of my peas and broad beans, as they are lst year's seed, at least I can see what's going to germinate and what's not!  Out of 40 pea seeds, 35 germinated, and are now in little pots in the greenhouse, and the broad beans are just waking up, I've got about 6 germinations so far.

Don't worry Purplebat, you've learned something new today, and will carry on learning for the rest of your life!!!! lol  It's my fourth year of growing at this house (not done any for about 25 years before that) and my veg garden gets bigger every year, and my veggies grow better every year!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 07:28 »
I grew some heritage pea seed last year for the HDRA, or whatever they call themslelves now! The express intention was to grow them for more seed to save the variety. Out of 99 seed 98 germinated this way.

Problem is when you intend to have 5 x 32' rows of 'ordinary' peas- it's a lot of pots!!!

muntjac

planting peas in pots whoaaaa
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 10:20 »
stop messing with pots ............. after your soil is prepared before planting  just wait  for the right time on the packet and on the plot weather wise . rake a shallow trench 1. 1/2 inch deep about a foot wide and just scatter the seeds in it  i put a pack of 150 for about 5 ft or there abouts . if your growing peas for cris'  sakes put some blooming seed in first .taking one pack over a 20ft row is like throwing snow at the sun .for a rwo that long 5 packs is the norm for me .if you have problems gettiong that many  dont go to the shops go direct to the seed suppliers and buy a kilo like tha allotment association folks do ,,,, oooops secrets out there  wire mesh them or protect them from birds etc .a 3 inch wide sprinkling of sharp sand down the rows sides will stop slugs getting at em
still alive /............

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 10:30 »
Hope you weren't taking to me Munty!!

I only used pots for the heritage seed to maximise the yield, so I could return as many as possible.

I'm not messing with packets - I've been to my local garden centre paid £3.99 a kilo for seed - compare that with the price you pay for a poxy amount in a packet. Assocations are no doubt cheaper - but we ain't got one!

I've got a BIG bag of 5 different varities and intend saturating the trench. Another quote from my Grandfather here - 'One for the rook, one for the crow, one to rot & one to grow'.

muntjac

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 10:38 »
not aimed at anybody dave mate .i post to general matey lol . i know the saying as well ,but you missed one bit of the end ........ one for the gypsy who is in the know  :wink:

WG.

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 10:39 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I sow mine (peas/beans) in a ice cream tub, no soil just damp kitchen towel in the bottom, lay the seeds out, put the lid on leave somwhere warm, check every other day. When I see they have got 1/2" of root, I transplant them into 3" pots in the greenhouse.

Would the same technique work for courgette please?

xx
Anyone's parsnips germinated yet

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 17:45
by WhippetMaster
xx
chilli not germinated

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 13:41
by chickpeacurry
clip
Parsnips Germinated!!

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 22:21
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Celeriac has germinated

Started by DigIt on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 17:19
by Schubunny

Page created in 0.868 seconds with 36 queries.