what to grow in a green house now?

• 6 Replies

lotstodo

« on: September 22, 2008, 10:04 »
oh should of said unheated.  

We have a big wooden box (made from pallets) about 3ft long x 1 1/2ft deep x 1 1/2 ft wide, lined with plastic and even remebered to put in some drainage holes. It was made to grow carrots in for the garden but they got scratched up by the chickens  :roll:  

So at the weekend I had a brain wave (only a small one!) and this box has now been moved into the greenhouse.  I was thinking of putting some lettuce, spring onions maybe some beetroot for a later salad crop. Is this a good idea or is there a better use for it?  Thinking of maybe trying a melon in next yr.

blue_cortina

thread dup?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:27 »

lotstodo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 17:09 »
oh didn't see that!  :oops:  thanks for the link. some good ideas too.

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 19:44 »
the seeds I sowed (in the greenhouse) last weekend have all come on really well: three kinds of salad lettuce and raddish, watercress, corriander, basil and also some purple broccoli although not sure if it's the right time for it.  Your box might work for potatoes ? I just planted some in tubs and put them in the greenhouse.  I would plant/sew whatever you like the taste of and see what happens  :)

I tried melon but it didn't work for me this time

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 19:51 »
This my first winter attempting to grow in a greenhouse.  

At the moment I have pak choi, mixed salad leaves, chervil and green and red basil all growing well.  I have other things but they have not germinated yet.

Some of my seeds needed high temps to get going, so beware.  I think it was the coriander that needed 20c to 25C to germinate.  But I have invested in a cheap paraffin heater now.  £20.99 from Argos.
Cheese makes everything better.

lotstodo

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 18:53 »
thanks for the ideas your all really helpful to us newbie growers. Going to give it a go and put some beetroot and salad stuff in, will it be too late for potatoes? but it would be a perfect size for 3-4 spuds, anyone know where would i get spud seeds this early/late?  or with them being grown in a container can i get away with using some from the spud sack i've got in the garage?

Got 2 bargain paraffin heaters one was £3 from wilkos in may and the other bigger one was 75% off in our local cash and carry about the same time, now just need a supply of paraffin to fuel them :roll: ! Also 5 bin bags full of bubble wrap I've saved from going into the bins at work. Must start putting it up over the next few days.

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 21:38 »
This is my first winter using a greenhouse so I am definitely not an expert!  However, I have pretty much decided just to try things out and see what happens.  Currently I have radish, salad leaves, turnips, spring onions and sweet pea seeds sown in there!  Also have a chilli plant and pepper plant I got at knock down price at the local Dobbies.  You can pick up seeds so cheaply (50p per pack, see frugal living area!) that it has to be worth a go if the greenhouse would be empty anyway.  Try it, if it works great, if not try somthing else  :D

xx
green house what to grow???

Started by lisa80 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 11:54
by Kristen
xx
green house?

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 10:13
by TINTIN
xx
Green house help

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 20:41
by DD.
xx
GREEN HOUSE

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 22:05
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.