Last year's onions and garlic...

• 4 Replies

kath77

« on: February 05, 2007, 17:29 »
My 2006 onions and garlic were pathetic: the garlic just 'disappeared' assumed dead and the onions were so small I didn't bother to pull them up when the time came  :?  

So, last week I was quite surprised to notice they're both growing again and looking rather healthy! My question is... will they be edible after another few months in the soil or should I pull 'em all up and sow afresh? (I have bought new onion and garlic sets which I can put in asap)

Thanks!
Kath

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 17:35 »
I Found a few of lasy years onions when I took over the plot back in october seeing as they were growing I plonked in another space and left um to it, they are growing as well as the others and presume they'll be ok :?
But I am sure someone more experinced will be along in a bit and probably tell us otherwise :wink:
frey
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 17:58 »
I think onions are biennials - all onion sets are is seed onions that have grown and then been stopped by heat.  So they should just behave like onion sets would - I think.  I found three very pathetic garlic plants from my planting last spring at the weekend, so I've just planted them to see what happens...

Could be wrong on all these things, though!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 20:03 »
I always hold back some Garlic cloves and plant them late in spring so they dont split then pull them and let them dry then re-plant in autumn, the reason is I get gignatic bulbs. My only concern with the garilc may be white rot, put them in a bed out of the way to see what happens. Not sure about the onions but I have seen them left in the ground and they bolt very early in the second year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

brendit

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 16:31 »
Hi kath77

Garlic is best planted in Sep/Oct/Nov anyway so I imagine you'll get good results from that.  If it is a hard-neck variety, break off any flowering heads (scapes) which shoot up around June.

Onions I don't know - they might run to seed.  Leave them in as an experiment if you can spare the room.

xx
No Rust on Onions/Garlic this year

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2015, 07:20
by Robster
xx
Bad year for overwintering onions and garlic ?

Started by richyrich7 on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 18:34
by Ivor Backache
xx
small onions this year- caterpillar or just poor year

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 22:46
by shokkyy
xx
Last year's garlic...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2017, 12:03
by Growster...

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 29 queries.