Help, my potatoes aren't growing.

• 4 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Help, my potatoes aren't growing.
« on: July 26, 2019, 20:55 »
Hello,
We're new to keeping an allotment and we are struggling. Sorry in advance for the big post...
Can anyone help me figure out what is happening to the potatoes on our plots-we have two plots and several issues.

1. All our potatoes are abysmal. Why?
2. Our bottom plot, bottom left bed keeps vanishing potatoes, many just fail to grow.
3. Is it safe to eat what we have grown in that section?
4. Should we give up on growing potatoes?
5. What should we grow instead? Fruit?

Our plots are opposite each other across the path.
The newer to us is up the hill, we've had it 3 months because the last plot holders had abandoned it.
The bottom plot is divided in half by a path and it was shared for a year by the plot next door. It wasn't cultivated before that and had machinery on it, like all the plots on the bottom because the council put a pipe in. He grew on his side of the path potatoes, cabbages, turnips and lovely big gooseberry bushes never had any problems. They were all massive. The gooseberries being perennial are still thriving (I made amazing jam). He improved his side-where most of the potatoes are a lot more than our side. Our side has raspberries that are thriving and trying to invade everywhere. I transplanted some of their suckers to the garden and their comparable. There's also Jostaberries, strawberries, white currants and rhubarb. Which are doing fine.

We are growing Arran Victory, Queens, King Edwards and Desiree (from a different supplier) and honestly except for the Desiree (which isn't too bad), their growth rate is glacial. They're all a foot tall or at best a foot and a half, but look more like scraggly trees. Even ones in grow bags in compost. Both have a handful of tiny leaves and roots, they're just not taking off and 4 months later there is basically no progress. Some are flowering already, with a maximum of two flowers on the most enthusiastic. You can easily see between the plants and rows  ???  :ohmy:. I come from a big potato growing area and I've never seen anything like that.

They were put in the most improved area (his bit) after the frosts at the end of March so frost wasn't a problem. Most of the potatoes are in the bottom plot in the most improved area. But the potatoes in the top plot aren't doing any better.

We suspect it's the seeds as the other plot holders that we asked got theirs from the local plant centre, we got ours from a big online supplier. When they arrived the box was wet, damaged and the potatoes on the bottom were a bit mouldy. We didn't have time to hang about and we planted. The mouldy being grown in both plots and are actually doing the same as the rest of the non mouldy ones.

We applied loads of well rotted manure when planting, we've weeded, there's been plenty of rain so it's not thirst. We've even lied to them and told them they're doing well to boost their moral.

Tonight the Husband dug up almost 2 square meters in the Dread Bed and a few plants in the improved area and there was maybe 2 marble-sized tubers per plant in the Dread Bed and 4 in the improved area. The potatoes that are there are nice potatoes, no scab, slug damage, or worm holes but they are marble sized and pathetic. I'm not getting out of the soil what I put in it as they are smaller.

There is blight in the area but that's only just started and the two plots on each side's plants are still your typical big bushy plants.

There's also the problem of the bottom left area of the bottom plot :ohmy: aka the Blasted Heath/Dread Bed. In the 3 years nothing potato like has taken out of there. Last year we thought the drought killed them as there's no water on the allotment, we couldn't take enough up ourselves and our "water butt" barrel was empty. We suspect that in the middle of that bed there has been a spill of something when the council were putting the loathed pipe in. Literally two rows side by side are a complete contrast. The ones up the hill are still a quarter the size of both next doors if I'm being generous, but they have dark green leaves rather than pathetic sickly pale yellow/green tiny things and the row is complete-no missing plants. There is a rather pathetic apple and hazel that haven't noticeably grown since we replanted them below the dread bed. However the red currant beyond them, massive, thriving.

Up at the top of our original bit up the hill from the Dread Bed we planted the Desiree. While they didn't do as well as the other plots above ground we got easily on one plant more than entirety of the Dread Bed.

There is almost no worms anywhere between the two plots, we found 4 in the bottom plot by the gooseberries, 1 in the top plot. But it's only 1/5 cultivated.
In the bottom plot there are the most massive moth caterpillars throughout the plot. We found one in the raspberry patch, just above the only good potato row at the top of the Dread Bed that was as wide as the tip of my little finger and longer than it. Whatever is the Dread Bed doesn't affect the massive moth caterpillars (next paragraph) living there. Last year we found loads in the Dread Bed-they feed on the grass, so there was none this year because we got most of the scutch/couch grass out when planting. We have a wild patch in the plot (above Dread Bed, below raspberries).

So we are wondering is it the seed... Or have we got or something else?

Any suggestions about if it is it the
1. The seed potatoes?
2. Is it a disease in our plots?
3. Is it environmental, something in the plot?
4. Mix of several of the above

What should we do?
1. Given there's blight just started nearby do we dig the lot up and plant winter cabbages, beetroot and fruit?
2. Feed them potash? I was going to do that again tonight but just how rubbish they were doing got to me and we just reviewed, picked the ready fruit and left.
3. Stop growing food in the dread bed, plant wild flowers and a flowering currant, put in a pond.
4. Stop growing potatoes and try get the money back for this year?
5. Contact Sepa and ask them to test soil from the plot and see if it's safe to eat root vegetables out of there.
6. Grow fruit. Sod vegetables.
7. Dig out the top foot of soil in that area and put more soil in the entire plot. Keenan provides rough chopped, sterile composted green waste at £15 pound a ton. We're wanting to go no dig already and were waiting for to harvest the potatoes.

Thank you anybody able to offer advice.

Ivor Backache

Re: Help, my potatoes aren't growing.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 16:48 »
When I read this my thoughts were 'this is a worn out plot' . You only get out of the soil, what you put in.

1. Take trowel of soil put in jar with top and shake and let it settle. Note the composition of the sediment and also what is floating. Do that in several places and see what results you get.

2. Do a soil analysis. Test for Ph and NPK. Take a trowel full from just under the surface and every meter or so.

3. Water retention. Dig holes about 1' deep. Ground dry or water accumulating ?

4. Buy in some compost you mentioned, but test it first with different seeds.

I am reading words eg abandoned, compacted soil, pale yellow and so on. So my advice would be focus on the soil.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:44 »
Hello.
Can I ask the stupid question, or several.

Can you (or anyone) recommend an NPK tester?
I looked on Amazon and they go from £10- £hundreds. I have just emailed Keenan about 4 tons of 40mm mulch/compost-it's not as finely ground up as their other 60mm stuff. We think if cut the foliage (blight has just kicked in). In two weeks time dig up everything potato, fling what home made compost we have on the plot, cover with cardboard (been saving boxes) then cover with the Keenan compost/mulch. Leave it over the winter and maybe add some worms then it'll be okay to grow in. We'll bribe the Eldest to charm some for us (giving her something else to do during the summer holidays so she's not bored). Maybe add winter vegetables so all isn't lost.

More ignorant question.
Mr-Next-Door-Plot had his side for only one year, the plot was uncultivated for years before that. He enriched his side of the plot soil, got a fantastic crop of everything. Then got it, added loads of manure afterwards to replace what his plants had taken out. But both sides and the top plot were equally rubbish. Except for the Home base potatoes on the poor soil who produced loads. Some of which were fist sized. Which is why we are suspicious of the seed potatoes. Surely there'd be some difference between the two sides? Also the raspberries are doing fantastic.

Soil does tend to be a bit dry, but if you go down an inch it's usually damp. It's not heavy clay or sand.

Keenan take all the garden and kitchen waste and quick compost it. Mr-Next-Door-Plot used some of it on his side of our plot-we found the bags.

Post mark 2, hopefully it won't vanish.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 12:46 »
I don't like the sound of what your potatoes looked like when they were delivered and I'd have complained to the place where you bought them because Mr. Next Door Plot had a lot of success with his, your rasps are doing well as are your Homebase pots. Personally I'd get a simple NPK tester where you have a little test tube and dip a plastic strip into the appropriate solution rather than spending a lot of money when that might not be the problem you're having.

I'd dig all your pots out, give the soil a turn-over with a garden fork, add some well-rotted manure or any compost you have, cover that with cardboard then put mushroom compost on top.

BTW WG, re- your posts, there is no need to apologise because we're here to help and advise anyone who's taken over a new plot. Even us oldies get stumped and have to ask what went wrong!  :) 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 11:01 »
Thank you both for your advice.

I've cut the foliage off and I'll see if I can get the husband to dig up what's there. But I think I'll give up potato growing on a large scale. Grow in a new area in the new plot case the volunteers (escapees more like) infect them.

I'm going to add compost and worms to the soil and grow fruit instead. Maybe some peas-their doing nicely (different supplier), as are the onions. Also mouldy and same supplier.

I've ordered autumn raspberries, different types of summer to extend the range of them since we only have early, blackberries, tayberry, loganberry and pink currants! The latter's only been bought because it's pink and the eldest is a pink fanatic. I'll propagate from cuttings more black, white and red currants. There's always strawberry runners too.

xx
My chillies aren't growing

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 14:20
by barbarella
xx
My courgette fruit aren't growing

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 20:03
by japagow
xx
Potatoes growing

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 20:41
by Yabba
xx
growing potatoes

Started by Lucy Danning on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 12:24
by WG.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 33 queries.