I have bought the icecream maker

• 44 Replies

chrissie B

Re: I have bought the icecream maker
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 21:12 »
i just found my long lost recipie for racheal allens strawberry icecream its yum i adapt it to make rum and rasin even yummier ,
chrissie b :D :D :D
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Mrs Bee

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 14:21 »
OOOOOO rum and raisn is a favourite of mine :)

chrissie B

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 19:22 »
well this one as i said was strawberry wich i made but wasent as ood as the rum one

250g strawberries ( i replaced with mixed dried fruit soaked over night in rum , the good stuff )
juice 1 lemon
250g caster sugar
200ml water
4 large egg whites
pinch cream of tatar
300 ml whipped cream

puree the fruit and strain to remove the seeds (if doing rum and rasin no need for this )
put the sugar and water in a pan to desolve , once desolved boil rapid for 5 mins , keep an eye on it ,
whisk egg whites with the cream of tartar till stiff
while still whisking drizzel in the sugar syrup, keep on whisking till glossy,
fold in the whipped cream and your fruit give it a light mix ,
place in the container and freeze , can be scooped straight from the freezer ( i found the rum and rasin  easier to scoop , probably cos its got the rum in it )

no need for an icecream machine for this one
chrissie b

Mrs Bee

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 19:51 »
Yep, this is one I use if I have a load of egg whites to use up.

It doesn't need the cream of tartar tho ;)

You can adapt this to any other fruits too.

It is a really good one especially as it doesn't need an icecream maker and still gives a soft texture without going rock hard. :)

chrissie B

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 23:12 »
yes thats what i found but did find the fruit one a bit harder than the rum one i think because the fruit has a higher water content in the strawberries but as still nice and creamy , getting some cream tomorrow to do an adult only rum and rasin and maybe a bailys one
chirssie b :D :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 06:53 »
Baileys now you're talking with ginger perhaps or toasted almonds.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Mrs Bee

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 09:51 »
Baileys and white chocolate ;)

if the strawberries have to high a water content try simmering gentle to reduce the water content and increase the flavour.

Also a little ground pepper and balsamic vinegar lifts the flavour too. :)

chrissie B

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 08:22 »
bailys is such a versatile flavour i use it in a chocolate pud its not a torte or a cheese cake basically chocolate, creame with a biscuit base the bailys goes great in that .
im making my rum and rasin later on its 3rd on my list for today along with making a curry and taking up the arms and legs of 4 katate suits .
chrissie b

Mrs Bee

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 19:18 »
bailys is such a versatile flavour i use it in a chocolate pud its not a torte or a cheese cake basically chocolate, creame with a biscuit base the bailys goes great in that .
im making my rum and rasin later on its 3rd on my list for today along with making a curry and taking up the arms and legs of 4 katate suits .
chrissie b

i remember the karate suits :D But I only had one to deal with.
That one has grown up now and his favourite birthday cake and that of all his very grown up friends is my chocolate cream and Baileys cake.

I make one the size of a large pizza with three tiers and it is demolished by the end of the evening. I rarely get a look in :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 19:28 »
Putting this here as well as in frugal living -- Asda have a decent size jar of stem ginger in syrup for about £2.50.

Great finely choppd in icecream, with dark choc chips  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mrs Bee

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 19:30 »
And in a baked pear and ginger cheesecake.
Made one yesterday and sold it all today ;)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 09:01 »
Putting this here as well as in frugal living -- Asda have a decent size jar of stem ginger in syrup for about £2.50.

I've started making my own stem ginger, which makes it even cheaper (especially as I get the ginger from my local Asian store).   ;)

Even though it's a bit time consuming it's very easy to do, and it means I can use it with gay abandon without worrying about being extravagant!  I use it in all sorts, including ice cream (and a little of the syrup is nice poured over the top).  Another favourite recipe I use it in is a delicious Charentais melon, ginger and star anise conserve.  The recipe for the stem ginger is as follows:

800g fresh ginger, peeled
750mls sugar
375mls water
Lemon juice

Cut the ginger into cubes that are roughly the same size (not too big).  Cover with water and soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.

Drain the ginger, place in a saucepan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil and drain.  Repeat this two more times, and on the third time, simmer the ginger until a sharp knife goes through it easily (approximately one hour).

In a thick bottomed saucepan bring the sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil, then turn down the heat a little so you have a rolling boil.  Keep an eye on it and stir every now and then until the syrup thickens, 20 – 30 minutes.

Add the ginger and simmer for 10 minutes, cool completely before spooning into a sterilized jar.  Leave for a week to mature before using.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:03 by cheshirecheese »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 16:06 »
Now that is not something I have done before but will have a go at. Thanks for that Cheshire Cheese.  :)

The melon conserve sounds really good too. :)

Must get some melons next time I go to Spitalfields market.

Di

chrissie B

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 18:26 »
not tryed that but will give it ago , love ginger
also if the recipie for the chocolate cream and bailys cake is available mrs bell would love that  ;)
chrissie b

Mrs Bee

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 20:09 »
not tryed that but will give it ago , love ginger
also if the recipie for the chocolate cream and bailys cake is available mrs bell would love that  ;)
chrissie b

Weeeeeeeell............ Chrissie, I can give you the basic idea 'cos the one I made was in a large pizza tin and a bit unusual. As the cake is for about 20+ young people in their mid twenties I have to make it kingsize.

I started by making 3  whisked genoise chocolate sponges.

4 eggs whisked with 4oz sugar until really thick and creamy.
Add 3oz plain flour and 1oz rowntrees cocoa powder sifted and gently folded into the egg mixture. (Has to be Rowntrees cocoa because it has a far deeper cocoa flavour.

Then gently fold in 2oz of melted cooled unsalted butter.

Turn the mixture into an 11" deep pizza pan and bake at 200 C or 190C in a fan oven for about 10 minutes.

To assemble the cake I whisk up about a pint of double cream with3-4 tablespoons of Baileys until thick. I can't remember exactly but just taste to see if there is enough for you.

Then I place one sponge on a large platter and dribble Baileys over it. Then spread a generous helping of the cream, then another sponge and more dribblings of Baileys and cream until all the sponge and cream is used up.

I then open freeze the cake until solid.

Then make a chocolate ganache by melting dark plain chocolate, the best you can afford with equal quantities of double cream. I don't have exact quantities 'cos I just make a batch up and see if it looks enough to cover the cake.

A basic ganache to cover a 9" cake is 200g chocolate and 200ml double cream. Melt it slowly on a low heat or in the microwave and stir until it is mixed and glossy then add 2 - 3 tablespoons of Baileys or to taste and pour over the frozen cake.
You can then either leave it frozen until you want it or leave the cake to defrost.

OK, now the reason I freeze before icing is it gives a cleaner icing result and you don't get any rogue pieces of sponge in the icing and the icing firms up quickly and you can tidy it up with a spatula dipped in a jug of boiling water.

I only make this cake once a year for my son's birthday and usually make it up as I go along. I will try to write down the exact recipe when I make it again in August and will post the actual recipe.

But I think you will be able to manage with this until then as you are obviously an accomplished cook.

I you want to make a smaller sponge cake I usually use the sponge cake recipe using 2 eggs to a 8 or 9 inch tin.
You can of course stick with 2 layers or go the whole hog and make four.

Hope this helps. :D Di

xx
i bought a dounut maker

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 18:19
by chrissie B
xx
Easiest icecream ever

Started by New shoot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post October 09, 2012, 22:43
by Mrs Bee
xx
Raspberry Icecream

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 16:42
by Poolfield2
xx
Making icecream

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post December 30, 2009, 18:59
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 32 queries.