Tomatoes in the cold II

• 5 Replies

stompy

Tomatoes in the cold II
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:44 »
Hi all,

I had run out of windowsill space after potting on my tomatoes/peppers and chillies so had to find somewhere for them to go.

With the tempratures at this time of the year being up and very down (on  a night) i was placed in an not ideal position where i had to put half of them in the minni greenhouse in the back garden.
Rather than letting them fend for them selves completely i placed a boiling hot (water from the kettle) hot water bottle on the second shelf to give them a fighting chance, and it seems to have worked   :D

So, after 4 nights out in the minni greenhouse they are absolutely fine ;)
We have had 2 mornings where we had to scrape frost off the car and there was frozen water in a couple of trays in the back garden yet the plants look absolutely fine, no blueing to the leaves or any sighn of frost damage or wilting.
I am very tempted to put the others out there too as the light levels outside are far better.

Anyway, just thought i'd let you know that my tomatoes in the cold are doing fine due to a hot water bottle  ;)

Andy

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Tomatoes in the cold II
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:59 »
Pleased they've survived.

We've got away with it so far with no severe frost this month, but I wouldn't recommend it as a year on year tactic!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

stompy

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:48 »
Pleased they've survived.

We've got away with it so far with no severe frost this month, but I wouldn't recommend it as a year on year tactic!

No way will i be sowing so early next year.
As you know i don't like faffing and this is way too much for me, if sown just 1 month later it would be allot less hastle.

Andy

bigben

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:33 »
I started a few of mine early stompy - some are in the greenhouse and some still on the windowsil. I also sowed 3 times as many chilli plants as I needed. I potted some on and split them between the greenhouse and the window but had a few extras. These I have left outside for the last week on a table and so far they have been thru 3 frosty starts and look better than the ones in the greenhouse! I could not bring myself to chuck them and thought the frost would kill them but not so far.

stompy

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 13:32 »
These I have left outside for the last week on a table and so far they have been thru 3 frosty starts and look better than the ones in the greenhouse! I could not bring myself to chuck them and thought the frost would kill them but not so far.

You watch, they'll turn out to be the best you've ever grown :lol:

Stree

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 17:58 »
I always start mine off end of February in the unheated greenhouse. Bit slower to germinate but always do. Got 4 kinds of tom on the go.
Just put plastic ( clear) tops on the seed trays overnight.
At the moment I have courgettes, nicotiana,swan  river daisy, mirabilis, lobelia, brachycombe, cosmos and lots more all started with no heat and all doing great.
Sweetpeas get planted out in Feb as well. Frost hardy believe it or not,

xx
Tomatoes in the cold

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 14:16
by Willow_Warren
xx
tomatoes in the cold!

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 16:03
by DD.
xx
Is it too cold for outdoor tomatoes ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 20:52
by JayG
xx
Too early/cold to put tomatoes outside

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 09:31
by DD.

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 30 queries.