Is it too cold for outdoor tomatoes ?

• 13 Replies

hubballi

Is it too cold for outdoor tomatoes ?
« on: September 24, 2012, 00:53 »
I have a lot of tomatoes growing outside (mainly gardener's delight) that escaped blight and are doing really well . They are still green but I am wondering with this cold weather if it is best to cut them off and bring them indoors to ripen or leave them a bit longer ?

I have some in a cold greenhouse too.

m1ckz

Re: Is it too cold for outdoor tomatoes ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 06:58 »
cut mine friday..all of 1 plant lol.12 tomatoes on the window sill

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:31 »
If the tomatoes are very undersized (for the variety) and also therefore very green (i.e. no signs of at least starting to change colour, which is usually yellow-ish), there's no way of getting them to ripen indoors that I know of.

Otherwise they ripen very well indoors, although I'm leaving my unripe greenhouse toms alone for as long as possible and crossing everything, as they still taste better ripened on the plant.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:11 »
According to my plants it's been too cold all year for outdoor tomatoes. Congrats on getting something to grow at all!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:15 »
I don't know if the plants are in the ground what they would be like being lifted into pots, but I've found this article I read 5 years ago. 

Haven't tried it myself, but looked interesting!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5129.0

I don't have many outdoor tomatoes with fruits still on them this year either!

hubballi

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34 »
They were initially poor in pots with good compost but as soon as I planted them outside (just to make space in the greenhouse and not waste the plants), crowded with not too much light they have romped away. No ripe fruit as such but laden with many toms. The garden is walled so quite sheltered. I will leave them a bit longer ad if it gets colder I will cover them in fleece or large transparent plastic bags.

One interesting point: I sprayed with tea tree oil to avoid blight (my spuds were destroyed with it) as I heard it does help.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 17:37 »
And we've told you before that we cannot condone the use of products for purposes for which they are not licensed!  ::)

Please stop advocating the use of tea tree oil for this purpose.  It's illegal and you've produced no evidence a) of its efficacy and b) of its lawfulness.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

hubballi

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:50 »
If I was advocating the use of a toxic chemical I would understand the concern but a natural oil that is harmless ? It's a bit ridiculous. People have the right to read any tips and decide for themselves. Beer traps, garlic, egg shells etc are all home made ways of dealing with slugs. Is that to be censored too ?

Are the natural oil police reading these forums  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:51 by hubballi »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:46 »
I suggest you read this page on the website.

It is written by the site owner, in case you don't notice. Is that to whom you refer as "natural oil police"?

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/home-made-pesticides
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

hubballi

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 17:34 »
I suggest you read this page on the website.

It is written by the site owner, in case you don't notice. Is that to whom you refer as "natural oil police"?

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/home-made-pesticides

Not at all. I just can't believe sharing natural tips on gardening is deemed illegal.

So am I right in thinking I could be arrested for spraying my own plants with tea tree oil ?   :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 18:14 »
So am I right in thinking I could be arrested for spraying my own plants with tea tree oil ?   :nowink:

If you were "thinking right" you would already understand the position that the EU regulations put John Harrison and the mods in - you are free to do what you wish in your own garden (but at your own risk in all senses of the phrase.)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 18:28 »
Whether you like it or not, Hubballi, that article sets out the position of the forum owner and the moderators.

I have personally explained the position to you on a number of previous occasions but you choose to keep ignoring this.

As JayG says, what you choose to do in the privacy of your own garden is up to you, but please stop continuing to promote the use of an illegal / unlicensed product on these forums.

hubballi

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 20:20 »
I think you have misunderstood me.  I am not promoting it, merely making a statement from an an observation made. Sprayed tomatoes with (natural) Tea Tree oil. Didn't get blight. Draw your own conclusions. I am not selling, advertising,promoting or making any financial gain from the use of Tea Tree oil.

Just to cover myself:

Please do not spray with Tea Tree Oil. It is Illegal.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 20:23 by hubballi »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 20:52 »
Hopefully you now feel you have made your point Hubballi (ditto the mods) -  I can't see this particular thread delivering anything useful to other members so I'm locking it.

xx
Outdoor cucumbers in cold frame

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 14:08
by Springlands
xx
Outdoor Tomatoes

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 12:27
by mumofstig
xx
outdoor tomatoes?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 22:03
by hamstergbert
xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 15:04
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.826 seconds with 38 queries.