eye less chick

• 2 Replies

pekinjess

eye less chick
« on: April 29, 2012, 15:34 »
Dear knowledgable people
We have allowed our broody pekin to hatch 4 eggs. This is a first for us and we're thrilled that all 4 hatched. Two days later we realise that one chick (who hatched a 2 days later than the others) has no eyes - they are completely missing. S/he also appears to have a slightly 'squewed' beak.
Is it curtains for him/her?
Advice please. Is this likley to happen again? Why might it have happened?
Thanks
Jess

kegs

Re: eye less chick
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 17:19 »
It could be down to a whole host of reasons I'm afraid.  Certainly out of your control. 
This paper answers some of your queries.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=89804.0

The thing is does the beak prevent her from eating and will you want to look after her for the rest of her life because obviously she will not be able to see to go to and from the coop/perch, will not be able to find her food or water and may get picked on by any other hens you have.  You certainly won't be able to breed from her as it could be passed on down the line.  Only you can make the final decision but personally I feel it may be kinder to cull now, although I would find it extremely hard to carry out the deed.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: eye less chick
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 18:32 »
Sorry, but I would cull the chick now before it gets any older.  No matter how you look after it, i will be picked on by the others.

I had a chick about 4 years ago that only had one eye working.  I was thinking about culling her, but a lady came to collect 3 chicks and she sounded so lovely, I asked her if she would like an 'extra' for free.

She was over the moon and called the chick one eyed Jack and said she would look after her and she'd be right spoiled, so I didn't have to cull her!   :) :)

xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
Dud chick?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 00:01
by mdueal
xx
Chick Pix!

Started by Mossley on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 21:29
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 34 queries.