What is the whackiest place your duck/hen has laid an egg?

• 6 Replies

orchardlady

I keep my hens free range and one of the down sides is that occasionally I find a hen has decided to 'lay out' or lay away' There are several usual hiding places that I check, an old barrel, behind some old paving slabs that are lent up agains a wall but  I though you might like to hear about the best place ever my hen(s) decided to lay and I'd love to hear your whackiest 'laying out' stories to.

We cut the field the hens range on with a 30 year old garden sit on mower/little mini tractor. I think it was once red but just rust coloured now. We cover it up for the winter with a tarp and put bricks around to give it shelter. Well this spring my dearest Peter decided it was time to start cutting the fields grass.

I was happily gardening when he said, "Hey bring a bucket down hear would you?" So off  I trotted with my bucket. Once the tarp was removed Peter had found the eggs. They were laid on the seat, in the foot well, on the front wings, around the engine, underneath on the ground and finally some on the actual bonnet (very flat). We filled the bucket. There must have been over 100 eggs there. Phew you could really smell them to. What a waste but what clever birdies!

Spana

Re: What is the whackiest place your duck/hen has laid an egg?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 17:10 »
We've had them all over the place :lol:
One hen had a nest on the foot plate of OH's JCB and another without a nest went broody on a plastic bag in the back of OH's pick-up :lol:Nothing at all under her,just plastic and she hatched two chicks there as well. :lol: 
The same little hen has just hatched 3 guinea fowl eggs on a pile of plastic feed bags :lol:

Never found as many as 100 hens eggs in one place though, but have found duck eggs like that.  Nest upon nest with piles of rotten eggs , and dont they honk :D

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 18:12 »
Mine have a favourite spot in a large clump of geraniums!
I always look there after I've cleaned their house out. If I've had a megga scrub and have left it to dry, theres always an egg or two in the 'naniums. Such good girls - thats the spot
I always go to! :D

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 18:56 »
Mine managed to move the little flap at the bottom of the compost bin, put a load out, somehow managed to climb up through the bin (which thankfully wasn't very full) AND MADE A NEST ON TOP.  I was cursing them because egg production had slowed and then ceased and then found a load in the bin when I next went to put things in it!  They seem to like the bin as they also made a little nest of dried leaves and will often lay in that....in the sunshine!  Bless them x

rachelr

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 19:24 »
I am quite new to this hen keeping and was relieved when the new hens and the old hens decided to lay in the same place. All barr one who in protest will not sit and lay but just walks around til the dog sniffes her bum and out pops and egg.

It was odd the first time we were all watching and calling the puppy back not sure what he was doing the next minute he had the fright of his life as an egg landed on his nose.
 :wub:

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 20:15 »
When I was having a clearout of the hen enclosure, I had one of those skip bags. I had filled it with leaves and a bush I cut down...then I realised on of my hens went in and didn't come out for a while...sure enough...there in the skip bag...were 7 eggs. One for each day the skip bag was there...

...the fool  :nowink:
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

Big Jen

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 20:34 »
I have one that regularly lays an egg in the grit bucket in the porch.
The funniest place was in the dogs food bowl in the kitchen :D
I have had one under a cupboard at the top of the stairs.

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

xx
Can a duck forget where she has laid eggs?

Started by mands65 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 10:10
by 8doubles
xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
hen thats never laid

Started by skelly on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 11:09
by richard2510
xx
not laid yet

Started by chicken run on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 22:44
by babe

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 35 queries.