Flowers on the plot

• 22 Replies

tode

Re: Flowers on the plot
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 22:54 »
Come on BQ, you cant eat EVERYTHING in your garden  :ohmy:
Livvys quite right: a little row of sweet peas, and youv' got a little bunch of magic every day.
Man cannot live by bread alone  ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 07:52 »
Come on BQ, you cant eat EVERYTHING in your garden  :ohmy:
Livvys quite right: a little row of sweet peas, and youv' got a little bunch of magic every day.
Man cannot live by bread alone  ::)

believe me we can hehe  :lol:

tode

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 08:53 »
Don't tell me you've actually tried the recipe for slug fritters  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 08:54 »
Don't tell me you've actually tried the recipe for slug fritters  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I should do the amount we seem to have, never seem spotty and stripey ones until this year, imagine that on the menu.  :lol:

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 08:59 »
I always have flowers as well as veg. Adds a bit of colour  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Yabba

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 09:20 »
I've got some Dahlias (thanks Yabba). Though not edible (I think), they do look good.  :)
*cough* pictures ;)

Funny enough we have the odd dahlia or two as well ... pointless taking pictures though as they're all still short 'n' green as our first shows not for another 6 weeks or so.

madcat

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 09:50 »
I like the idea of herbs and have some that need to be moved from the garden, would they grow in a square foot garden as i have a bed ready and love the idea of it  :D

In a previous house I used to grow them in squares in the patio - lift a slab and use as bed for small herbs.  It wasn't a great idea as they thrived and the chives in particular started to take over the mortar lines.  ::) So they should do brilliantly in a square foot garden.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Babstreefern

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 19:15 »
Basically, whatever size garden/plot you have, you should give at least 10% to flowers.  If you do your homework (which I don't, because I like my flowers), you can put specific flowers in to ward off slugs, butterflights, and anything else you can think of which attacks veg.  Flowers are there to protect your veg.

I've thrown a couple of packets of Bumble Bee mix in the plots which works, I've had loads of bees.  I've planted nasturtiums, dahlias, and other border plants.  In fact, I've a lovely border around my shed, and it looks like a cottage garden.  Absolutely fabulous.  I grew my dahlias from seed, so this year, I will be digging up the tubers for next year, as well as the nasturtiums with their seeds.  I've basically saved a fortune for next year's flowers.
Babs

xx
Flowers on the plot

Started by Weedy Wonder on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 16:07
by Elcie
xx
Growing flowers on the plot

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 11:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Anyone growing flowers on their veg plot

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 20:07
by Peterjohn
xx
potatoes..flowers or no flowers

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:07
by hanssg

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 32 queries.