sweetcorn chittings

• 102 Replies

MoreWhisky

Re: sweetcorn chittings
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2013, 22:17 »
My sweetcorn is in rootrainers and currently about 3 inches tall and has just been placed in an unheated greenhouse.
 Just a tip for everyone when it does go to the plot (in a week or so) each one will have a 2l pop bottle placed over it, this gives me peace of mind in case the is a late frost, as it will not out grow these for a couple weeks when we will be frost free , hopefully.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2013, 22:28 »

Just a tip for everyone when it does go to the plot (in a week or so) each one will have a 2l pop bottle placed over it, this gives me peace of mind in case the is a late frost, as it will not out grow these for a couple weeks when we will be frost free , hopefully.

In that case I need 214 pop bottles!!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2013, 22:32 »
I have 2 lots on the go.. One sowed 2 weeks ago - 90% up in 6 days!!

The next lot sowed 4 days ago and started popping up today.. So far I have 42 up today from 210.. I need 154 for the second "land" aka patch..

I dont see the object of faffing around with chitting.. just plant loads and you get what you need from it.  If you have extra from a good germination you plant out the strongest and give the rest away.

Totty

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2013, 23:03 »
First sowing are all well up and could go out now if I knew the nighttime temps were going to stay mild, one more week I reckon, but I have 70 of them, and another 70 are just poking through. I need 130 plants this year so have ten spares in case of weak plants. I chitted 5 packs and planted the viable seeds.
How anyone can see that as faffing, when I could have spent much more time sowing dead seed, wasting time watering it and having the pointless pots taking up valuable space on the greenhouse bench, is beyond me.

Totty

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2013, 00:26 »
Totty - you're like me, in some cases you need a lot of seed. Have you tried Moles? An example here:

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/flower_and_vegetable_seed_store_uk/Products_F1_Lark_4246.html

250 seed for £2.85. I wouldn't mind betting that you paid more than that for 5 packs to get your 130!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sweetpea C

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2013, 06:04 »

Ahhh so that's what I was saving the pop bottles for .... I did wonder and now I know!

Edited to take reply outside the quotation
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:11 by DD. »
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Headgardener22

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2013, 18:52 »
Alright, I'm a convert.  :D

Never chitted sweetcorn before but it works a treat. Three days to chit in a tray in a sealed bag in the greenhouse, then three days for the shoots to show above the pot of soil.

I'm converted because it seems to be less concerning that potting them "blind". No better germination rate (this year anyway) but at least you can see what you're doing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 19:31 »
I never chitted sweet corn (or anything else except spuds!) until I had a duff packet a few years ago which only produced about 4 seedlings out of 35-ish seeds.

This year every chitted seed sprouted within a couple of days, and every one of those has now poked its little nose through in its paper pot.  ::)

I'll still stick with chitting sweetcorn in future - there is very little extra work involved for the peace of mind you get about the viability of the seed.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

seaside

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2013, 22:41 »
Just to add a slightly different view, I'm a big fan of chitting peas, that almost always works, but chitting sweetcorn hasn't worked well for me with both home brew seed and shop bought F1.
So, I won't be trying it again. What did the business was the heated propagator, 90% home brew up within 7 days, and 70% of the shop bought seeds.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2013, 09:50 »
Just to add a slightly different view, I'm a big fan of chitting peas, that almost always works, but chitting sweetcorn hasn't worked well for me with both home brew seed and shop bought F1.
So, I won't be trying it again. What did the business was the heated propagator, 90% home brew up within 7 days, and 70% of the shop bought seeds.

I chit peas so the mices don't get 'em first.  And it fun to  watch on the kitchen window sill  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13 »

Were you chitting the corn somewhere warm - like an airing cupboard? They need heat to chit, peas need less warmth, so will chit almost anywhere ;)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14 »
Well, I chitted two lots, potted them up and still a few managed not to show, even though they all chitted fine :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2013, 12:16 »
If you anything like me you probably broke a few when you potted them  ::)   :nowink:

xx
Chittings Potatoes

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 18:56
by Aidy
xx
2nd Sweetcorn cob

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2017, 14:06
by New shoot
xx
sweetcorn

Started by jenz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 20:46
by gobs
xx
sweetcorn?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 16:06
by krystal

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 31 queries.