sweetcorn chittings

• 102 Replies

suetritton

sweetcorn chittings
« on: April 05, 2013, 17:12 »
this is my first post, so hello to everyone first.  Quick question if I may: I have chitted 20 sweetcorn successfully, but I realise now that I am too early, it should have been end of April, but on the seeds themselves they seems to have sprouted 2 roots, top and bottom, how do I put these in the root trainer?  And how many cobs to each plant will there be on average? I feel a bit silly asking these questions but I am a complete novice.

Kleftiwallah

Re: sweetcorn chittings
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 17:44 »

I presume you sat them on wet kitchen paper or something like that?  If you hold them between damp blotting paper and the inside of a pint glass, gravity will tell the roots to head down and later the shoots to head up.  then you'll know which way is up! and which way up to plant them. :ohmy:

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 18:23 »
Hello Sue, and welcome!

Just how much too early you are depends on where you live (the further north you are in the UK the later they can be planted out and the longer they will have to be kept going until you can.)

They should be potted up ASAP after germination - a good way to "cheat" is to set them so the shoot and root are horizontal before covering them up (they will sort themselves out, although you can tell the difference with practice.)

As to yield, variety, growing conditions (including the weather!) and again location play a part - for me 3 cobs per plant is an excellent result, usual average one and a half, last year one!  :wacko:

If you put your approximate location in your personal forum profile we will be able to take it into account when answering any further questions you may have.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 19:20 »
Thanks for adding your location Sue - obviously you are in one of the more favoured locations so might be able to plant them outside in late May (but who knows for certain any more?  :unsure:)

I hate to see beginners being disappointed, so it might be a good idea to repeat the sowing process in 2-3 week's time (you can use paper pots or toilet roll tubes instead of root trainers to cut down costs) and if you have room you could plant them all out - with luck you could be harvesting from the middle of August until October.

(Just in case you are wondering sweet corn is my favourite home-grown crop - you won't be sorry you tried!  :))

suetritton

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 19:27 »
Thank you for your help which is much appreciated, OMG I thought I would have at least 10 cobs to each plant lol, as they seem to take up so much room.  I will take your advice and do the sowing process again, it will be cobs galore hopefully once I planted them all. They are also one of my favourite veg as well. Cheers Sue

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 19:44 »
Remember to sow the same variety as cross pollination end's up in inferior cob's. (so they say)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 19:49 »
Don't know what your seed packet recommends regarding spacing but if it's 18" (in a block rather than a single row) I think many, including me, squeeze that down to 15" or even less (the more you push it the more you need to cross everything weather-wise!)

I've been assuming you are talking about "normal" sweetcorn rather than the minipop varieties, although I'm fairly sure that even they don't get anywhere near the 10 cobs per plant you were hoping for.

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53 »
I didn't know I had to chit sweetcorn seeds  :blink: Says nothing about chatting on the packet?

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 10:01 »
There is no need to, it just ensures germination prior to moving them to toilet roll tubes/pots/etc.  I shall chit mine to start with in a few weeks.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 10:02 »
There is no need to, it just ensures germination prior to moving them to toilet roll tubes/pots/etc.  I shall chit mine to start with in a few weeks.

Thanks. How do you chit them?

Jim

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 10:21 »
In a plastic takeaway tub, on moist kitchen roll, in the airing cupboard.

When they have a small shoot I pop them into toilet roll tubes of compost, add a bit more on top and water lightly.

Then leave somewhere with a steady temperature and wait!

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 13:10 »
I tried to chit my sweetcorn this year .... followed the moist (damp) kitchen roll in a tube put it in my heat prop and waited (dont have an airing cupboard). I checked everyday and after 3 the seeds were covered in a white and black fur?! so I have thrown them away and will buy a new packet and start again .... today!  Love sweetcorn :)
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Kirpi

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 00:25 »
Interesting about the loo rolls. I have been using those large paper coffee mugs, thinking the sweetcorn has to be further on before planting out - surprised a loo roll is enough compost.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 05:48 »
I'm no expert but it worked for me. They went out into final positions straight in the tubes, about 8" tall

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 15:35 »
Yey i like that picture, cant wait to pick mine, will be chitting mine in 2 weeks to make a start, i to use toilet roll tubes.

xx
Chittings Potatoes

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 18:56
by Aidy
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 12:16
by plum crumble
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by min200 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 20:21
by Babstreefern
xx
2nd Sweetcorn cob

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2017, 14:06
by New shoot

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 37 queries.