sweetcorn chittings

• 102 Replies

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
Re: sweetcorn chittings
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2013, 21:34 »
Just underneath and the lid is on
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 21:45 »
Started chitting some "earlibird" sweetcorn seeds on weds 17th and found that lots had chitted today! These were in a tray on top the kitchen unit cupboards. Quite amazed how quickly they took. So took them down the poly and potted them up in compost filled toilet rolls. These and potatoes are the only seeds I chit.

Gandan57

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2013, 21:50 »
Just underneath and the lid is on

Put another piece over the seeds, and the magic will happen. ;)

I have mine fairly wet.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 21:52 by Gandan57 »
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2013, 22:07 »
Gandan57 - the seed of mine that you said had roots too long were germinated on top of sheets of kitchen roll, not between. If the micro climate in the tub is moist and warm that will be sufficient.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2013, 22:11 »
I've put another sheet see what happens

Gandan57

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2013, 22:37 »
Indeed DD, yours did sprout very fast.

I found, two years ago, the same as Thephoenix572, that the seed wasn`t chitting, just laying on the paper, and another piece on top changed all that.

It is important to achieve rapid chitting, before everything starts to go mouldy.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2013, 05:32 »
Ajhh yes the lid... Doh!!!

Do you have moist kitchen roll on top of, as well as underneath the seed? I found in the past when the seed was just on top of the paper, it wasn`t absorbing enough moisture. 

Also, are the lids on? To prevent moisture loss.
[/quote]
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2013, 07:36 »
One sheet (they could use that in an advert) - seed - lid.

Creates a micro climate, job done.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2013, 23:19 »
I see your comments people, my best experience on pre-chitting sweetcorn was the year before last where twentyone out of my selected twentyfive sprouted and grew on, I was a bit miffed as I only had two spare. Those two and two of the original were very weak and only produced one decent cob between them, although I did not have a full block the remainder did produce. Incidentally I talked to my buddies in Denver and asked them to expand on the light thing, apparently on corn there is a primary root system and a secondary root system. From germination the primary root system helps seedling development by extracting water from the soil, keeping the kernel activated. The secondary root system starts developing from under the leaf shoot and takes over from the kernel in supplying the nutrients to the young plant. When any light hits the leaf shoot it triggers growth, which can only be fuelled from the kernel. The secondary root system is not developed enough to support the growth so the kernel is exhausted. That is why a lot of sweetcorn seedlings only reach a single leaf and then stop developing. What they all agree on is that a steady temperature is vital for the first three to five days, recommending 70oF especially for the supersweets.
I just soak the seeds for twelve hours, rinse and pot 1" deep and am happy with the results.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Salmo

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2013, 00:29 »
Incidentally I talked to my buddies in Denver and asked them to expand on the light thing, apparently on corn there is a primary root system and a secondary root system. From germination the primary root system helps seedling development by extracting water from the soil, keeping the kernel activated. The secondary root system starts developing from under the leaf shoot and takes over from the kernel in supplying the nutrients to the young plant. When any light hits the leaf shoot it triggers growth, which can only be fuelled from the kernel. The secondary root system is not developed enough to support the growth so the kernel is exhausted. That is why a lot of sweetcorn seedlings only reach a single leaf and then stop developing.

So what should we be doing? Keep them in the dark or plant them deep so that the root system develops before they reach the surface.

Totty

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2013, 08:12 »
If you chit them, plant them out as soon as they start showing root.

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 08:23 »
Exactly Totty!  :)

Saves any concerns about drying out or damaging the roots (and which way up to plant them!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2013, 08:26 »
I chitted my Sweetcorn and them put them in paper pots ... should I have planted them out and not in pots?

Yesterday I let them sunbathe, it was a lovely day in Leicester! Should I harden them off and get them in the ground or wait til the risk of frost has passed?!??!?
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2013, 08:28 »
It's much too early to plant them outside - frost will kill them outright but temperatures of below around 10C day or night will put them into a prolonged sulk which they may never fully recover from.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2013, 10:06 »
Slightly unrelated but the ones I sowed (far too early I now know) were happily growing in the greenhouse and have now been eaten? Inside the greenhouse too! :mad:so, what can it be that's eating them and how do I stop the next lot from being eaten? (BTW - the next lot are chitting, on wet kitchen roll, in a tub, with the lid on....!).

xx
Chittings Potatoes

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 18:56
by Aidy
question
sweetcorn

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 23:56
by chillimummy
xx
sweetcorn

Started by terry d on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 06:15
by DD.
question
Help Sweetcorn

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 22:25
by Spana

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 38 queries.