chicken manure

• 30 Replies

m1ckz

chicken manure
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:31 »
morning all.well im well ahead this year,im just diging in lots of horse muck (quite fresh }i just seen chicken manure pellets for sale ,20kg bag for 8 pound plus 7 pound delivery,was wondering if i could use this in the spring when planting is due,sounds very cheap ,high strength to  :ohmy:mat be worth getting it now any thoughts guys an gals

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: chicken manure
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 08:08 »
This is what i use instead of any horse/cow manure.

Just sprinkle it around and lightly dig in - seems to work for me as i generally use little else except some BFB  where i think its appropriate. You dont get grass/weeds from these  :D

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:18 »
Just be aware that if you have foxes they MAY dig the area where you have put the chicken manure pellets. They are quite strong smelling.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:20 »
Yeah - they come to my site to do that - they tend to leave me a little present sometimes too  ???

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:25 »
The pellets also don't add the volume of organic matter that horse muck does, something to consider depending on the structure of your soil.

m1ckz

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:27 »
ty all well i was going to use it with horse manure,so it should be ok , ill get the best of 2 worlds lol

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 20:14 »
 Having seen the huge amount of weeds (mostly thistles) that have sprung up in the areas I have used cow and horse muck this year I intend to only use chicken manure pellets from now on, with green manure for the organic content when suitable.
 The farm the (private) allotment site is on gives us free muck of both flavours, but it never gets much of a chance to rot for long before it gets used, so I guess the seeds survive just fine and don't break down.
I see this as the best of both, although it is more expensive than the free muck, less weeding will make me happier  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 20:18 »
Having seen the huge amount of weeds (mostly thistles) that have sprung up in the areas I have used cow and horse muck this year I intend to only use chicken manure pellets from now on, with green manure for the organic content when suitable.
 The farm the (private) allotment site is on gives us free muck of both flavours, but it never gets much of a chance to rot for long before it gets used, so I guess the seeds survive just fine and don't break down.
I see this as the best of both, although it is more expensive than the free muck, less weeding will make me happier  ;)

If you put your manure under the soil, rather than just on top of it, the weeds won't grow, and the soil will be much improved :) save your chicken pellets for surface dressings  ;)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 17:06 »
morning all.well im well ahead this year,im just diging in lots of horse muck (quite fresh }i just seen chicken manure pellets for sale ,20kg bag for 8 pound plus 7 pound delivery,was wondering if i could use this in the spring when planting is due,sounds very cheap ,high strength to  :ohmy:mat be worth getting it now any thoughts guys an gals

Hi M1... where do you get the pellets at this price... its really good.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 17:40 »

If you've got a Wyevale near you and you join the Gardeners Club, you can get it even cheaper there at the moment, if you include the postage. They've got 10kg tubs of chicken manure pellets on BOGOF, so 20kg for a total price of £12.99.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 19:03 »
Thanks Shokkyy... but my closest is 25 miles away... I'll go to our local and try to blag some discount.. I can wait as I have seen it BOGOF around here before... ooooH the one I'm thinking about burnt downa  few weeks agao so will have to keep my eyes open for others...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 19:07 »

If you've got a Wyevale near you and you join the Gardeners Club, you can get it even cheaper there at the moment, if you include the postage. They've got 10kg tubs of chicken manure pellets on BOGOF, so 20kg for a total price of £12.99.

That's pretty good  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 19:41 »

That's pretty good  :D :D

I just stocked up today :)

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 23:27 »
Wilkos usually have it pretty cheap too.

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 13:07 »
I have seen these at our local Wyevale.  Problem is, if I store them in the garage they will stink the place out.  If I store them outside, will they be invaded by foxes.  My neighbour got some and has put them in an old compost bin but I don't have anything like that.  Has anybody got any ideas?

cheers

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
chicken manure

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 12:56
by JayG
xx
chicken manure

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2019, 15:38
by mumofstig
xx
Chicken Manure!!!!!

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 17:09
by Hamani

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 30 queries.