chicken manure

• 30 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: chicken manure
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 13:19 »
The lids are air tight.

You can't smell them with the lids on. I know that as Mrs Digger has never commented!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 13:20 »
I have seen these at our local Wyevale.  Problem is, if I store them in the garage they will stink the place out.  If I store them outside, will they be invaded by foxes.  My neighbour got some and has put them in an old compost bin but I don't have anything like that.  Has anybody got any ideas?

cheers

Well if you buy the 10kg tubs you can't smell them at all if you put the lid back on tight. And it's highly unlikely a fox could get into those tubs either, not if the lid's on tight. My tubs are sitting outside in my garden, and I do have foxes in my garden most nights, and they're absolutely fine. If my lurcher can't get into them, nothing can :)

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 14:30 »
Thanks that's put my mind at rest - will go and get some - if they have any left

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 14:34 »
I found with dried chicken poo that the foxes did sometimes have a dig but soon learned that it tastes like you-know-what and quickly gave up trying.  :)

On the other hand they never seemed to learn about the poor culinary qualities of BFB so it was me that gave up using it.  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 14:43 »
Yes, every time I put down BFB my dogs follow me around like shadows, scoffing it up as fast as I put it down.

One question re chicken manure - if used as a top dressing around established plants, will it scorch the leaves like BFB does?

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 14:46 »
My tub of chicken poo pellets is fine out on my plot. I can't smell it and I have quite a sensitive nose!

The foxes don't touch it. They do, however, move around my onions when they are laid out to dry just after I've dug them up! There were a couple of trails of fox pawprints leading away from where the onions were laid out on a bed covered in black weed fabric. They led to another bed covered in fabric on the far side of the plot with an onion lying at the end of each trail. No damage except you could see where the fox had held the onion stem in its teeth. Bizarre! :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 14:53 »
Yes, every time I put down BFB my dogs follow me around like shadows, scoffing it up as fast as I put it down.

One question re chicken manure - if used as a top dressing around established plants, will it scorch the leaves like BFB does?

It comes in heavy pellets and won't dust your leaves like BFB.

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 16:15 »
If you really want to add some BFB to an area, fork it in immediately, and stretch some poultry mesh over the immediate area and stake it down.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 16:16 »
I have seen these at our local Wyevale.  Problem is, if I store them in the garage they will stink the place out.  If I store them outside, will they be invaded by foxes.  My neighbour got some and has put them in an old compost bin but I don't have anything like that.  Has anybody got any ideas?

cheers

Call me odd if you like, but I quite like the smell!  :D How about a moral dimension; do the pellets come from free range or battery farmed animals? Does it make any difference?  :)

Trillium

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 16:27 »
Unless you query the manufacturer on this, it's most likely whatever source they can get. Everything also relates to the bottom financial line.

If you're having moral hesitations, then work with green manures (soil enriched with grain crops prior to planting).

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 16:38 »
Unless you query the manufacturer on this, it's most likely whatever source they can get. Everything also relates to the bottom financial line.

If you're having moral hesitations, then work with green manures (soil enriched with grain crops prior to planting).

It would be kind of ironic to buy Free Range eggs, which we do for both taste and morality reasons then proceed to put chicken manure from battery hens on the allotment.
I already work with green manures, more out of curiosity than any moral stance. Whatever works!  :D

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 17:30 »
Please can you guys tell me what BFB is??  :unsure: It's bviosly a fert compound but we did not have a name like that in Zimbabwe...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 17:35 »
It's an abbreviation for Blood, fish, and bone (sorry!)  :)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 22:59 »
Thank you - i've seen it a few times now and wondered....

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 23:10 »
Also referred to as FBB, for those of us who prefer the words in a different order  ;) :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
chicken manure

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 22:30
by solway cropper
xx
Chicken Manure

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 11:57
by Sparkyrog
xx
chicken manure

Started by johnwoots on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 16:07
by johnwoots

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 37 queries.