Compost bin advice.

• 6 Replies

Nadlen

Compost bin advice.
« on: April 30, 2011, 13:29 »
Hi! Our compost bin is over 1,5 years old and full. I've opened little door at bottom and was going to take some ready compost out to use in beds but I could see egg shell bits,carton, paper ( which my smart hubby was throwing them in case the stuff inside will get too wet ) and other organic bits and pieces not fully rotten.
Question is - can I already use it even if its not completely rotten? The reason I need it now is that I've dug some lawn out and going to improve soil underneath cause its horrible hard clay all over. I want to make small flower bed. As I read about soil improving it says you need bag soil,sand and compost. And you can plant stuff straight in and all organisms will finish de-composting and do their business.

PS: I've used some compost maker thing at few top layers and watered it as I added more stuff. Doesn't look like it did really speed up the process.
Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 13:30 by Nadlen »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost bin advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 13:46 »
Dry material doesn't really compost at all and your compost will be much drier nearer the door, even if you kept it shut (I'm assuming it's a Dalek-type bin.)

After 1.5 years you should have plenty of decent stuff in there unless the whole lot has been bone dry for all that time.

Lift the bin off the contents and have a good look at it; you might have to sort out the really rough bits but should have enough good stuff for what you want.

Some sharp sand is good to dig into clay along with the compost but don't expect an overnight miracle! I wouldn't go to the expense of buying topsoil unless you need it to raise the level of the bed, although it would speed up the overall soil improvement if you did.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nadlen

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 13:57 »
Yes,Dalek type ( lol didn't know it had types ). It wasn't that dry me thinks. :wub: And its not dry at the bottom,no - its wet and rich. Yes,i kept it shut at all times.
Bah,what if content will fall apart if I lift the bin?? I don't want that smelly rotting stuff all over. Plus to get to the "good stuff" at bottom I will have to move top stuff back into the bin,correct? Sounds like really dirty job...
Don't have any sand,was hoping to go cheap - use plenty of compost. Also have some last year bagged soil ( not top soil,just pot compost ),I grew toms in it.
No,don't need raising anything,just break that clay a bit.

Is sand expensive?  :blink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 14:56 »
Bah,what if content will fall apart if I lift the bin?? I don't want that smelly rotting stuff all over. Plus to get to the "good stuff" at bottom I will have to move top stuff back into the bin,correct? Sounds like really dirty job...

Why smelly? (what did you put in it; it should have virtually no smell?!)

Top tip for keeping clean; use a garden fork rather than your bare hands!  :lol:

Sand is under 2 quid per "large" bag, but you would see some improvement using just what you've got.

Nadlen

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 15:03 »
Bah,I just checked and was all dry and full of ants. And I didnt put little door back so bottom got dry as well.  :(
Poured in a good can of water and sprinkled some compost maker.
Looks like it wont fall apart if taken off.
Well,it doesn't "SMELL" smell but still not very pretty pile of err...stuff. Smell is not unpleasant. We tried not to put any unwanted things in,only fruit,veg,kitchen towels,egg shells,egg packs,tea bags and stuff.

Nadlen

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 16:45 »
And one more question. Is it ok to throw oranges and mandarines peels in there?
I have tiny caddy in the kitchen and pop stuff in there,after few days it go into the big bin. And I can see that orange peel gets all green and moldy and spores fly around when shaken.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 19:59 »
Yes you can put those things in, although I wouldn't put a lot in as they are quite acidic.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Compost advice

Started by Library Girl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 05:25
by mike1987
xx
Compost advice please

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 17:36
by RichardA
xx
Compost advice

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2016, 20:31
by Thrutchington
xx
compost bin advice

Started by Kim on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 19:06
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 30 queries.