Compost advice

• 11 Replies

Library Girl

Compost advice
« on: September 28, 2010, 22:07 »
Hello- not only am I new to this forum, this is the only forum I have ever joined and posted on ! (Should I insert a smiley face at this point?)
I would really appreciate some advice on composting-this may sound simple but I cannot find a suitable answer. So, here goes... I seem to have acquired an awful lot of weeds on my allotment so I have dug them up and dumped them under some plastic that I have over one section of my allotment (that is currently empty) am I able to dig the debris into the soil or should I cart it all away somewhere?
Thanks in advance-
LG

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Compost advice
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 22:12 »
hello and welcome to the forum, I have just moved your post over to this section and hopefully another allotmenteer will be ble to help you  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 22:32 »
Welcome to the site  :D

Insert smillies wherever you want  ;)

Do you know what these weeds were?  There are two types: ones which grow back every year, and ones which grow and die in the same year.  The only ones which it's advisable to compost are the annual ones (ie. the latter type), provided that they have not flowered.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 04:25 »
I sort out the weeds into 2 groups as already mentioned - the perennial weeds (dock, dandelion and even bindweed & couch grass) get put into old empty compost bags which are closed up so that the weeds get neither light or water, and left next to the compost bin.  After a year or so, the roots should be dead and can then go into the compost heap (worth checking they are dead before doing that  ;) and if necessary, leave it a bit longer)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:46 »
I would personally throw the lot away, i find it difficult to trust weeds in a place where its nutrient rich. for the roots to die i would think you need intense heat from the decaying matter to kill them off completely. Stick to veggie food like carrot or potato peels or any other peels, leftover fruit peels, grass, manure, shredded paper, left over plants, that rot well and over a year or more you will have proper compost ready to use but always pick from the bottom of the pile not the top.

good luck

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 14:18 »
put tops (but not if they are seedy)  in the compost and roots in the bin........then none can regrow

bigben

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 14:49 »
Someone told me to drown them in a water butt. I tried and then the rusty tank I was using sprung a leak part way down and I ended up with stuff just growing in it. I never realised that dock could be an aquatic plant. Others swear by this method  - perhaps bagging up stuff first then sinking it into the water might do a better job.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 14:52 »
Everything goes into my compost heap and is rotted down for a good full year before I spread it. Yes, I know some weed seed and some root fragments will germinate but I'll be weeding and hoeing through the year anyway so... #shrug#  

and my plot is no more or less weedy than any other on the site:)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

noshed

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 14:54 »
I have a bucket of water next to my compost bins. I put bindweed in it when I can disentangle it from everything else. Then I tip the stinky mess onto the heap a few months later.
All other surplus greenery I put on my heaps, with shredded paper from the office and all the office tea bags.
That rots down very well, especially If I put a few comfrey leaves in as well.
I'm just digging out a couple of heaps at the moment and spreading the lovely brown crumbly stuff about.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

savbo

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 16:54 »
put tops (but not if they are seedy)  in the compost and roots in the bin........then none can regrow

good way though i remember someone posting they had deliberately tested whether Horsetail 'needles' will re-root - and they did :(

Library Girl

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 21:01 »
Evening.
Thank you all ever so much for the advice. I will inspect and sort at the weekend.   :)
Am off to read the asparagus thread now !
Thanks again

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25 »

good way though i remember someone posting they had deliberately tested whether Horsetail 'needles' will re-root - and they did :(
and bindweed wil aswell i have it growing up my fence and i used to just hoe it off an the bottem untill i noticed that if it was left touching soil it was re rooting

xx
Compost bin advice.

Started by Nadlen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 19:59
by Yorkie
xx
compost bin advice

Started by Kim on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 19:06
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Compost advice

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2016, 20:31
by Thrutchington
xx
compost advice

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:15
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 38 queries.