dwarf green beans

• 8 Replies

val

dwarf green beans
« on: August 13, 2008, 18:44 »
my dwarf beans are ready for picking and i notice that they have a black and  green marbled effect on the pod. as this is eaten i am a bit worried about whether or not it is ok. has anyone else had this problem and are they ok to eat
mirren05

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
dwarf green beans
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 20:26 »
Hi and welcome to the forums  :D  

Do you know the variety of the beans ? I have some purple podded French beans and some of them are purple and green mottled.But they taste fine.

On the other hand it could be virus caused are the leaves ok  :?

if you can a piccy says a thousand words  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
dwarf green beans
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 20:36 »
I've moved this to the GYO forum where you'll get more answers Val.  Do pop back to the Welcome forum to introduce yourself :D

wighty

dwarf green beans
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 21:09 »
I have Brightstone beans which are purple, black and green mottled.  They are a bean local to the Island, a ship carrying them was grounded on the beach at Brightstone back in the 1800's and the locals 'saved' the load.  Anyway, when you cook them they turn green like normal beans.

Jules

dwarf green beans
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 21:11 »
Hi Val

I bought some dwarf green beans from my local garden nursery (after mine failed to germinate/ were eaten by snails).

No variety name given on them, but they had pink/purpleish flowers and the pods were a mottled green and black colour as you have described.

We ate some of them a couple of weeks ago ... they tasted absolutely fine and no one, including my 2 year old daughter, has suffered any ill effects so I assumed that it is just how this variety looks.  
Although as Richy says - do your plants look healthy?

Jules

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
dwarf green beans
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 22:02 »
Don't worry about the pod colour.

They all go green when cooked!

I think others will back me up when I say I'm quite well versed in bean colours!

My purple beans start off with green in them - it all comes out inthe boiling! (or steaming).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

val

green beans
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 19:47 »
thanks to everyone who replied to my query about the black and green mottled green beans. the seeds were puchased from netto of all places and they are from country value, newmarket. i picked some today but have not yet cooked them being the coward i am. i just stuck to my very small cauli which came with a couple of complimentery slugs. luckily spotted by my better half before they could be eaten. ugh. i will try and put a photo of the pods on the net so that you experts can take a look. my spuds arent doing as well as i would have hoped, even the early ones didnt really taste like 'new' potatoes. can anyone recommend a really good variety for next year. but what a bumper crop of courgettes i am getting, is it the same all over the country.  8)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
dwarf green beans
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 20:18 »
My courgettes have more or less stopped, bit of a relief but I reckon there just getting ready for the next batch  :lol:

I like Rocket as an early potato   :)

wighty

dwarf green beans
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 20:41 »
Have grown International Kidney (?) as they are supposed to be like Jersey Royals, but they just disintergrate into mush and I can't stand mash.  Will eat it on a shepherds pie or fish pie but as a separate veg can't do.  Will try another one next year.

xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
What do I do with dwarf green beans?

Started by snooziebunny on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 14:22
by 3759allen
xx
Dwarf green beans and variations on the two sisters

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 15:57
by Snoop
xx
Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 18:59
by Anton

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 28 queries.