Sri Lankan Runner Bean Curry Recipe

• 6 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Sri Lankan Runner Bean Curry Recipe
« on: June 01, 2013, 16:01 »
Here is a recipe from the July 2013 issue of the BBC Good Food magazine.  Its from Barney Desmazery and he says:  "This vegan curry is traditionally made with foot long snake beans cut into smaller pieces - but sliced runner beans make a great alternative.  In Sri Lanka, this would be one of many different vegetable dishes served as part of a larger meal, but I find it perfectly substantial simply served with rice and rotis".

It states serve 4 but I'm not sure about that, depends on your appetite and how much you like runner beans!  I haven't tried it yet but thought it would be a good recipe to have when our runners start to grow:

1 small onion, roughly chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric
large piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
5 fresh curry leaves
1 tbsp mild curry powder
400g can coconut milk
4 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 whole dried red chilli
300g/11oz runner beans, stringed and sliced
juice of one lime
1 tsp garam masala
handful of fresh coriander

1.  In a blender, combine the onion, turmeric, ginger, garlic and 1tbsp of the oil with a large pinch of salt.  Heat the remaining oil in a shallow pan.  Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves, and cook until they crackle, then add the onion paste and cook until sticky.

2.  Stir through the curry powder, then pour in the coconut milk.  Add the cloves,cinnamon and the chilli, and bring to a simmer.  Tip in the beans and simmer for 15 mins or until the beans are tender.  Squeeze in the lime juice, add the garam masala, take the pan off the heat and stir through the coriander.  Serve with rice and rotis, if you like.

As I say, I haven't tried it yet, but will report back when I have.  Also, I reckon you could get away with dried curry leaves and dried chilli flakes instead of a whole dried chilli if thats what you've got in the spice drawer!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/sri-lankan-runner-bean-curry

Edit to add link attributing online source.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 13:21 by arugula »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Sri Lankan Runner Bean Curry Recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 13:37 »
Thanks for that, sounds really tasty and different ideas are always useful. :) Sorry not to reply sooner, I've been away.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 17:44 »
I haven't been away, but only just noticed this.  I wonder if Brian would eat my frozen runner beans this way?  mmmmmmmmm   ;)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 18:02 »
Thanks for that, sounds really tasty and different ideas are always useful. :) Sorry not to reply sooner, I've been away.

No worries!  As I say I haven't tried it yet.  I did have a thought after I'd posted the recipe - I reckon that green beans would be good in this too - maybe a mixture of both?  :)

I haven't been away, but only just noticed this.  I wonder if Brian would eat my frozen runner beans this way?  mmmmmmmmm   ;)

I don't have a stash of frozen runners anymore  :( just waiting for this years crop now to try it.

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 20:08 »
I can confirm, this is super yummy!  :D Definitely adding to my list of regular recipes and I will try it with Mackerel next time. For people who like softer beans, try par-boiling them first.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 01:06 »
I can confirm, this is super yummy!  :D Definitely adding to my list of regular recipes and I will try it with Mackerel next time. For people who like softer beans, try par-boiling them first.

Oooh glad you tried it and liked it!  :D I was only thinking earlier that I may have to bring out the 'big guns' where bean recipes are concerned.  People are starting to walk in the other direction when they see me in case I try and give them some beans (or courgettes  :blink:).  I am going to blanch about 3 tonnes of various beans to use over the winter today and may just have to give this a go during the week.  Though I did do something rather yummy on Saturday with a mixture of beans, courgettes and peas, steamed then tossed in lemon juice, fresh mint, salt and pep and a little melted butter........but that won't get me through our bean glut - I need to raise my game to convince others of the joy of home grown beans!  A very dear friend of mine said to me a few days ago 'I really don't think I could face eating another bean - would you mind ever so if I blanch and freeze this lot?!'  :dry:.   

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 14:41 »
 :lol: maxibo I know how you feel! we've eaten, pickled, chutney'd, frozen, given away and still the beans keep coming!

xx
Runner bean chutney recipe

Started by Jackypam on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post September 27, 2013, 17:11
by Jackypam
xx
runner bean and sprouts recipe

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 18:28
by Poolfield2
xx
Goat curry recipe

Started by Steveharford on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 11:52
by compostqueen
xx
Beef curry recipe.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 11, 2022, 17:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 35 queries.