Why do people get ex-bats?

• 23 Replies

woodburner

« on: June 25, 2008, 11:46 »
I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but I'm feeling brave, and it's a straight enough question.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09 »
Not got any, but I would suggest first and foremost, compassion.

Rob  :)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09 »
Because they are cheap? -usually 50p - they often have a few laying seasons left, vaccinated, quite docile (they are bred to be) and I think there are people who have a conscious and feel they want to do something to help change how were care for our commercial livestock and by buying some would really make you feel you are actively doing something as opposed to just giving a donation.

Very good question Woodburner!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:11 »
Well...personally, I'm gonna try and get 3 but that's because I think helping 3 chooks to have a better life as well and getting eggs in return...is....win win!?

pushrod

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:25 »
Quote from: "mickwood"
Well...personally, I'm gonna try and get 3 but that's because I think helping 3 chooks to have a better life as well and getting eggs in return...is....win win!?

Commercial birds will have laid a lot of eggs and there is a limit to how many they can lay. They will probs have at least another season of less frequent laying but what will you do with them when they stop and still have years of life left but are still healthy eaters of your feed? I think a conscience has to be tinged with financial reality.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:27 »
Quote from: "pushrod"
Quote from: "mickwood"

Commercial birds will have laid a lot of eggs and there is a limit to how many they can lay. They will probs have at least another season of less frequent laying but what will you do with them when they stop and still have years of life left but are still healthy eaters of your feed? I think a conscience has to be tinged with financial reality.

curry them for 5hours??? :lol:  :lol:

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 14:12 »
I am on my 5th lot of ex-batts acquired over the last 2 years.  i really don't know why I got them I just had this thing about having some chickens and fancied having ex-batts.  

They are cheap, the most I have paid is £1 each, but at that price they do repay you in eggs in a short space of time.

They haven't caused me any undue problems.  The odd one or 2 has had to be sent to chicken heaven by my OH, the rest appear to have slipped away peacefully.

As for what to do when they stop laying, as I have 18 of them I couldn't tell you what we will do with them as we can't say which one lays and which one doesn't.  However, I am happy to let them wander around happily scratching and being a chicken for the rest of their days. (Would honestly say we have a few now that don't lay as we get on average 12-13 eggs a day from our 23 in total).  They don't cost much to feed so I don't let it worry me.  Bit like what do you do with your dog once it stops being a reliable guard dog, or your cat once it stops catching mice? Do you get rid of it and get a newer more efficient model ??

Claire

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 14:17 »
My OH bought me Jamie at Home for Christmas and when i saw how battery hens are kept that was me sold, ive always bought free range eggs and i know how they are kept but just having the pictures in front of me made me want to rescue some. I got in touch with a friend who keeps chickens just to see if i was mad to consider it, got 2 kids so wanted to know if it was sensible. Also live on a housing estate, didnt want to upset the neighbours so wanted to know how noisy they'd be. Did loads of research as i didnt want to rescue some and then regret it later. Got Daisy, Poppy and Trixie at the end of March and weve never looked back. Only problem was i wanted to bring loads more home with me. So thats why weve got ex batts. The eggs are a bonus but we wouldnt be bothered if they stopped laying. They are proper pets, even come in the kitchen sometimes.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 17:19 »
I'm not too fussed about their egg laying...it's nice, don't get me wrong, but for me ex-batts are more about doing the right thing (rescuing an abused animal) than it is about the eggs - small cost of a bit of food for the feeling of doing at least one good thing....worth it for me, eggs or not

:D

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 17:23 »
Quote from: "ck2day"

As for what to do when they stop laying, as I have 18 of them I couldn't tell you what we will do with them as we can't say which one lays and which one doesn't.  However, I am happy to let them wander around happily scratching and being a chicken for the rest of their days. (Would honestly say we have a few now that don't lay as we get on average 12-13 eggs a day from our 23 in total).  They don't cost much to feed so I don't let it worry me.  Bit like what do you do with your dog once it stops being a reliable guard dog, or your cat once it stops catching mice? Do you get rid of it and get a newer more efficient model ??

Claire

wasn't trying to say people shouldn't take ex batts just that they should go into it with their eyes wide open. For me chickens aren't pets they are, i suppose, more like a vegetable crop. I would not want to keep a dozen hens if they were giving nothing back in return. However if you think of them as pets then that is completely different as your return is just enjoying their company. If you have a lot of space and they free range then feed is probably less of an issue, but in a relatively small run you will have to provide virtually all of  their food. I must admit that i am beginning to notice the feed at £6.20 for 20 kgs. Hope this doesn't make me sound too heartless.

regards

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 19:36 »
Totally agree with you pushrod, my hens are working girls, no names, no sentiment when the stop laying they will be gone. Just bought a 20kg sack of food today cost me £6.80   :shock:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 20:51 »
Its just nice to see them have the pleasure of being outside and as i suspect most of us eat caged hen eggs in one form or another then its my payback. Ive got 5 and apart from buying the hen house they cost me next to nothing as i sell the eggs i dont use and that pays for their food  :D
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

Porffor

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 21:17 »
25kg of layers pellets is £8.50 by us.. sorry off topic.

I have very very seriously considered ex-batts and would have them as 'pets' if they didn't lay it wouldn't matter. our guinea pigs offer nothing in return for their feed - £5 for 5kg on average.

sadly hubby is too concerned over our current girls welfare.. so no ex-batts for now, but then we are newbies so i guess he has a point.

conventgirl

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 22:53 »
For me its nice to be able to give these poor hard working girls a bit of a normal chicken life.  To see them get their feathers back and scratch around for worms and bugs is fantastic.

This is my 2nd lot of ex batts and they have all earned their keep.  We do not have chucks for making a profit but we sell the eggs and this more than covers the cost of their food.

The only time they probably dont earn their keep is when they are ill and need caring for...which as i would do this for any other animal i dont see why the chucks should be ay different.

I would definately give a home to ex batts again  :)

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 09:23 »
Quote from: "pushrod"
Quote from: "ck2day"

Claire

wasn't trying to say people shouldn't take ex batts just that they should go into it with their eyes wide open. For me chickens aren't pets they are, i suppose, more like a vegetable crop. I would not want to keep a dozen hens if they were giving nothing back in return. However if you think of them as pets then that is completely different as your return is just enjoying their company. If you have a lot of space and they free range then feed is probably less of an issue, but in a relatively small run you will have to provide virtually all of  their food. I must admit that i am beginning to notice the feed at £6.20 for 20 kgs. Hope this doesn't make me sound too heartless.

regards

Apologies if I made you sound heartless it wasnt intended.  I also cringe when I buy the hens food!  I initially got them for the eggs and from a soft hearted point of view, now I have them I couldn't bear the thought of "despatching" them when they stop laying. As said before I don't know who lays and who doesn't.  I refuse though to take them to the vet if they are ill. Thankfully have not had an ill chicken that has needed the vet. Have had one or two that have gone down hill fairly quickly and bearing in mind the life they previously led and the problems that it may have caused, my OH has sent them to chicken heaven.  
With regards to feed I manage to cover most of the cost by selling the eggs and am lucky to have a local farmer who will sell me bags of corn for £3!
They aren't pets but neither are they a money making concern, I just have them cos I like having my Ronnies (they are all called Ronnie, short for Veronica :roll: ) about and find they can always be relied upon to put a smile on my face if i'm feeling grumpy  :shock:

Claire

xx
ex-bats

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:36
by nicchick
xx
are my ex bats ok

Started by bunch29 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 15:49
by betty
xx
Day 1 for my Ex-Bats

Started by tezzer on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 19:04
by tezzer
xx
Ex-bats

Started by cool chick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 11:33
by WoodyK

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 33 queries.