protection

• 2 Replies

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
protection
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:13 »
We are coming up to that time year when we planting out brassicas just to feed the pigeons, rabbits, pheasants etc.. I thought a usefull thread might be a sharing of ideas on stopping the little blighters.
I use wire netting down each side of each row held up with a few sticks then folded over at the top creating a wire tunnel. I use 2ft wide with 2inch holes wire, this works but makes weeding difficult.
You need to leave it in place as long as possible. Mistake i sometimes make is to take it off to soon so i can weed. blooming birds are just waiting for that.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

agapanthus

protection
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 11:50 »
I use blue water pipe (the type that builders use) . Put canes on four corners of the area you need to cover....and then more in between......cut lengths of the pipe and and feed about 10" on the top of the canes that are opposite each (sorry not very good at explaining things :oops: ) and you end up with a framework abit like a a polytunnel. Cover with netting and voila!!!! :)

WG.

protection
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 12:28 »
I am netted off against rabbits.  For larger areas, I use foil or ribbon strips tied onto bamboo canes to scare the birds.  Don't know if it works but it makes the cabbage patch look a bit like a Tibetan shrine.

Oh ... and I shoot anything which ignores these warnings.

xx
Protection!?

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 23:27
by turnpike
xx
Protection!!

Started by iamnew on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 22:08
by richyrich7
xx
Wind Protection

Started by Abunndance on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2022, 11:12
by Subversive_plot
xx
crop protection

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 16:57
by lordthanatos

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 28 queries.