What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 17:53 »
Well I only got my plot in November, it had been pretty much doing what it liked for what looks like quite a while   :ohmy: so I was basically digging and clearing all day. The weathers been really mild too so it's fairly dry. I chatted with a few other site holders and was very jealous that they were harvesting and pulling a stray weed or 2. But then I moved a big pile of planks and other bits of rubbish and I found some rhubarb already popping up!! :mad: wahey!!  That perked me up a bit! And THEN I realised after a bit more investigation that I have a strip of rhubarb about a metre wide and running the entire length of my plot  :blink:
Wish I liked eating rhubarb... :nowink:

Ema

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 18:20 »
Peas that's brilliant a good freebie on your new plot! I'm sure you can give loads of it away and earn some brownie points! I made a rhubarb strawberry and vanilla jam (shops brought ingrediants) last year it was amazing!

Yesterday I remembered I brought some autumn onion sets when I pulled them out the cupboard they had started to sprout so I poped them into modules, in the hope they'll be ok for when I get my plot shortly.

It's quite warm here about 8C at night and I am having to resist sowing there's just bound to be another bitterly cold spell.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 23:29 by Ema »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 18:23 »
You are so right Ema -- no outdoor sowing yet  :ohmy:

Sit on those hands!!!!

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 18:38 »
I have to admit I struggling not to sew! I'm just desperate to get started on the real stuff rather than weeding and waiting. My windowsill is all propagater  ;)

Ema I like the sound of that jam, I've got all the stuff - I tried to copy pumpkin jam that my gran makes once...it went pretty badly and only my dad would eat it, but hey new year new challenge !  :blink:

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 21:25 »
Not strictly speaking on the plot today but:

Christmas Eve - Harvesting of leeks for Christmas lunch and discovery of large scale flooding on site, but thankfully not our plot.

NYE - Hubby, children and friend went along to harvest more leeks plus purple carrots

Today - ventured to the GC with my vouchers and bought some compost, plus some first early and salad potatoes (I don't grow anything else as we are very prone to blight at our site).

Am going to kick off the indoor sowing with onions, chillis and garlic in modules (which will go outside after planting).

I was hoping to get more of hubby's labour during his "holiday" by asking him to help me build the raised beds, etc but with the rain, I haven't dared ask!! I know I have asparagus plants coming soon and need to have prepared a raised bed for them!

We were promised a few dry days but it is still raining here! :(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 21:29 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 08:32 »
We were promised a few dry days but it is still *raining here! :(

Noah had the same problem!

Sounds as if you've been and are going to be busy  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 09:00 »
Greenhouse swept and tidied, sowed some rocket on a tray, have got some cuttings looking healthy (roses and fushias) and the sweetpeas are taking over. The garlic planted in pots a week ago needs to go out but I haven't managed that yet, maybe today wll be the day. Already the greenhouse is becoming full! I am going to measure and order some extra shelving. 

The 2 beds ready for veg are not going to be anywhere near big enough for everything I want to grow. I need an allotment. I'm going to keep popping to my local one to see if anyone wants to share a bit of theirs with me!

What are my chances?!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

snowdrops

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 09:09 »
Which one is local to you? Did you know there are some private ones around. There's poors plots on Kirkby Rd in Barwell,some on the Northern Perimeter Rd just down from the Ashby Rd crossroad. There's some at Breach Lane in Earl Shilton, that's where my first one was. There's also some on Heath Lane Earl Shilton.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Sweetpea C

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 14:00 »
I live next to Hollycroft Park so the Ashby Road ones would be ideal. The ones I know about are on Langdale Road on the Hollycroft estate. Do I just go down and express an interest on the private ones? Thanks, C

jmc1949

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 14:11 »
Spent a couple of hours on a very wet plot moving the final raised bed into position on plot 1. The soil was sticking to the spade and very heavy but at least it's done. Just the paths to do and plot 1 is (more or less) ready for action.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 19:48 »
picked some vegies and me and my son sieved through the homemade compost and added some sand to it ready to use for sowing, then we dug through and turned the new compost heap.

Lottiman

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 20:08 »
Still far to wet to do anything although I have loads to do, dropped off some stuff for the compost heap, one of my plot neighbours stopped off for some veg, so we had a good old chat  :D
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

allot2learn

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 21:44 »
Tried digging a few rows but it's too sticky and gave that up. Built some slatted staging for my existing 8 x 6 greenhouse, then started to prepare the base for my "new" 10 x 15 greenhouse which should start to be assembled next week from recycled/scrounged/skip diving, double glazed windows. (Skip diving with permission of course).  :blink:
The expensive bit is going to be the polycarbonate roof.

Yana

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 22:13 »
Delivery of manure so decided to top up raised beds on plot 1 and clear old brussel plants and dig the bed over ready for compost to be added. Doing nicely and was going to move onto second half plot to begin clearing (only got this a couple of weeks ago) when...... saw two guys digging the raspberry bushes out from my new half plot!
Seems that the previous tenant had said that these guys could 'help themselves' to the rapsberry bushes and strawberry plants. I politely said that I was now the tenant and this sparked a torrent of abuse aimed mostly at the lottie committee.
To cut a long story short, I felt somewhat threatened by this behaviour and wonder what I will find (if anything) when I go up tomorrow?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 01:42 »
Delivery of manure so decided to top up raised beds on plot 1 and clear old brussel plants and dig the bed over ready for compost to be added. Doing nicely and was going to move onto second half plot to begin clearing (only got this a couple of weeks ago) when...... saw two guys digging the raspberry bushes out from my new half plot!
Seems that the previous tenant had said that these guys could 'help themselves' to the rapsberry bushes and strawberry plants. I politely said that I was now the tenant and this sparked a torrent of abuse aimed mostly at the lottie committee.
To cut a long story short, I felt somewhat threatened by this behaviour and wonder what I will find (if anything) when I go up tomorrow?

That's a miserable start for you.... and a difficult situation. I guess technically everything left on the plot should now be yours and anything given away by the previous tenant should have been removed before the plot was handed on.

Similar thing happened to me: "New" half plot - previous tenants on the plot along side. Many weeks after me taking over they asked if they could collect their raspberry plants. I said of course they could... as they weren't mine although I was disappointed.

Two months later it was me who eventually dug them up and transported them to the previous tenants plot... but I kept a few  ;) After that period of time I felt I had a right to do so.

Perhaps you could negotiate and a few could be left behind for you?

(And…. I know I’m off topic but it did happen down on the plot)

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 33 queries.