Spring Greens

• 20 Replies

splodger

Spring Greens
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 00:16 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Quote from: "splodger"
i don't eat netles myself (i am far too sensitive for that - but all other green tops, especially at this time of year - i'd have a go at - gotta be good for roughage  :wink:

What about the leaves, or do you only eat the tops?

top leaves (as long as they don't have toooo much pigeon poo)

gobs

Re: Spring Greens
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 09:31 »
I'm asking this in here because I'm embarassed!  We had spring greens with our dinner, and I've never had it before :oops: Is it actually a variety or part of a cabbage or is there a plant called spring greens, because I've never seen seeds for it or heard of anyone growing it, I feel really stupid.

Now you know why I'm asking in here :lol:

There is no such plant as spring greens. Traditionally, spring cabbage is planted at closer spacing and every other pulled early for 'spring greens' and rest left for heading up.  And as said, all sorts can be used this way, in fact, apart from tough bits, all parts of all brassica are edible. Cauliflower leaves tend to be tastier than the florets on some varieties. I use khol-rabi leaves for stuffing and eat the pealed stalks of broccoli and cauli, they are very nice.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

Spring Greens
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 09:38 »
I agree.  Anything called Spring Greens in a shop is likely to be cabbage grown especially for that purpose.

Spring Greens in my house is anything Green which is edible in Spring ! :wink:

mashauk

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 14:38 »
Quote from: "gobs"
There is no such plant as spring greens. Traditionally, spring cabbage is planted at closer spacing and every other pulled early for 'spring greens' and rest left for heading up.  And as said, all sorts can be used this way, in fact, apart from tough bits, all parts of all brassica are edible. Cauliflower leaves tend to be tastier than the florets on some varieties. I use khol-rabi leaves for stuffing and eat the pealed stalks of broccoli and cauli, they are very nice.

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 17:41 »
Quote from: "gobs"

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks.

gobs - can you please stop replying with answers I agree with!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

oakfairy

Spring Greens
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 23:39 »
mashauk, cast aside your red face! for you are not alone!! i want to grow spring greens too (we have iguanas and they love them!) and i have looked EVERYWHERE for spring green seeds, but to no avail..... you have shed light on this so i thank you..... and so do the lizards!!!
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm (winston churchill)

xx
Spring greens

Started by seaside on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 19:35
by seaside
xx
spring greens

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 18:36
by muntjac
xx
Spring greens

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 22:01
by agapanthus
xx
Spring greens ??

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 15:22
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 36 queries.