frozen drinkers

• 15 Replies

pushrod

frozen drinkers
« on: December 21, 2010, 17:01 »
Anyone got any bright ideas to stop the constant trek down to the bottom of the garden with a kettle of boiling water! One set of hens are using a large eltex(?) (3 gallon?) galvanised drinker and the others have a large plastic container fed from a barrel via a ballcock.
Electricity is relatively nearby. Was thinking of a little aquarium heater for the barrel affair, but at a bit of a loss for the metal drinker - i don't think they would appreciate antifreeze  ;)

Need something cheapish that will work for 3 or 4 days unattended as will be away over new year and this present freeze doesn't look like ending soon. Unfortunately the friendly neighbour option is not a possibility. Was wondering about soil warming cable - have seen a few purpose designed mats to stand drinkers on but they seem rather pricey for what they are.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

hendreary

Re: frozen drinkers
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 17:46 »
I use a large dogs bowl for water and go out every couple of hours to break the ice.
Today though I noticed that the chickens had pecked a small hole in the ice and were drinking through it.
Geoff Davis. :)

BIG ZOOK

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 18:38 »
You could use a couple of electric demi-john wine/hombrew warming straps. :D.

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 18:39 »
would also be interested in hearing of any solutions as I am carrying the water in every night and taking it out again every morning (but it can still freeze of course in the day!) I hope the hens have the sense to drink the snow if they are thirsty!

If you are leaving them for three days who is putting them to bed? aren't you worried about foxes/ draughts?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 18:52 »
sorry but this time of year I wouldn't leave any chickens for several days, besides the chance of their water either freezing (which it could do if your water heater is electric [should you purchase one] and you have a power cut) or running out, who would open and close their pop hole? What about their feed - vermin would be attracted to it. Foxes, mink, stoats and weasels are also struggling for food this time of year so unless your coop and run is like Fort Knox you run the risk of losing your chickens. Sorry if my reply is not what you wanted to read but sadly I do feel you need to find somebody in the locality who would keep an eye on your birds. The schools have broken up so why not ask around for a responsible teenager (yes there are some good ones out there) who would call in twice a day for some money and free eggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 20:29 »
Good reply Joy.  I've only ever left my chickens alone overnight and thatw as in the summer months, not middle of winter.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 20:31 »
plus the fact you have me down the road should you need a hand  :)

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 20:34 »
I have a dead crockpot, so I use the bottom half (the bit that heats up - or rather used to) and fill one third cold water plus two thirds from kettle. this seems to cover most of the day.

Zook suggests demi-john warmers, but how do I prise them out of OH's cold dead fingers?

Pertelotte :-)

Totty

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 20:35 »
I too had a similar problem recently. A five min walk at five in the morning to the allotment, to open them up, give them fresh unfrozen water in the bitter weather we have had of late had me wondering if there was an easier way. The answer i came up with in my circumstances was, no! If we decide to have chickens, and keep them in a coop as opposed to totally free range, it is then our duty to lock them away (to keep out deadly draughts and worst of the cold, as well as the threat of predators) and therefore open them up in the morning in order for them to stretch there legs. It is also our duty to ensure a fresh supply of food and water to them, and for most of us who work through the day, the best that can be done is to make sure at least its not frozen when they come out first thing.

I think when the sun is already up when most of us get up in the morning, and the air is always warm, its not so much of an effort to do what is really essential for the average poultry keeper. In short, come rain or snow, somebody needs to look after them all the time.

Totty

jinty1911

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 20:40 »
How about the local paper boy? He would be up early and probably reliable. I need to find 1 for my spring holidays.   :tongue2: Cant rely on step-son cos he doesnt get up til lunchtime. Mind you maybe the girls screaming would wake him up  ???
Jinty

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 23:01 »
Hey Jinty. Could you not guilt trip your step son into looking after the girls? Or maybe bribery and blackmail? e.g. we provide food, laundry service, a roof over your head etc.....He might just find he likes dawn in the Spring.

pushrod

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 00:39 »
You could use a couple of electric demi-john wine/hombrew warming straps. :D.

Thank you for the sensible suggestion. Think standing on a coiled soil warming cable will still be favourite bearing in mind that heat rises etc etc.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 03:03 »
If you have snow, fill large bowls with snow and the chickens will 'eat' that. I do that with my pigeons all through winter.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 11:02 »
Good reply Joy.  I've only ever left my chickens alone overnight and thatw as in the summer months, not middle of winter.

I totally second this! I have only ever left them for one night, during the summer months.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 12:22 »
I hate to go all 'health & safety' but do be careful using electricity outside. If we have a thaw / freeze you could find the electrics get wet and worse case trip the electric off. Since most central heating depends on electric, could be a right disaster if you're away.

Sorry if telling grandma how to suck eggs.

I think a lot of Christmas plans are being ruined by the weather - but if you've got livestock or pets then you just have to put there welfare at the top of the list.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Drinkers

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 18:26
by bygrace
xx
Drinkers

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 15:12
by Blobbs
xx
Drinkers

Started by DMT2011 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 17:24
by JaK
xx
Filling drinkers

Started by Zak the Rabbit on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2007, 09:42
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 37 queries.