Help please - it's not an egg.

• 11 Replies

The Ora Girls

• Ceredigion Animal Rescue and Education
Help please - it's not an egg.
« on: October 16, 2009, 13:24 »
One of my ladies has laid something very strange.  It is not an egg without a shell, I will try and get a picture in a while.  It is fleshy, sort of sausage shaped, a couple of inches long and inside is a yellowy bit almost like yolk (now you know why I need to settle my stomach before I get pics!).

Not absolutely sure who it was but think possibly Dora as saw something similar a couple of weeks ago which was still warm as she walked out of the nest box.  Not absolutely sure though, so any treatment would have to be on all 4, plus any exams would have to be on all 4.  (They are Cora, Dora, Lora and Nora in the hope if I call something ending in "ora" one will respond!)

Egg production has slowed down but whether this is the cooler weather or them just taking it easy (ex free-range farm girls about to be culled last January) I don't know.  No problems with them not laying as long as they don't explode!
Georgina

Vember

Re: Help please - it's not an egg.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 13:39 »
Hi TOGirls

Welcome to the Hen House :)

Sounds like a lash to me but I might be wrong ???

A photo would be best ~ Sorry  :wub: :D

Sarah :D

The Ora Girls

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 14:05 »
Thanks Sarah.

It is not as red as this!!!  On a pale background it just blended in so had to find a matt black, then could not turn the flash off.... It is sort of dull flesh colour, when I cut it open to try and show the inside it is more yellow (but not much) and seems a bit gritty... may have been fibrous stuff in there but sorry it got to the stage where I had to leave it!  I would be no good on CSI.  The girls tend to lay large eggs, this is probably the same size as one of them.

hmm - just looked after posting and you cannot see much.... the exterior texture is a bit like the chub you buy in packs for dogs - solid, fleshy.

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 14:08 »
Oooh - looks shocking! Hope someone can tell you what it is! Best of luck!  ???

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 16:08 »
it looks like a lash to me too, either that or an ingested mouse :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 16:09 »
I've had a couple of those, has put me off ham for life! :wacko:

The Ora Girls

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 16:27 »
Thanks - but what is Lash.... I have tried googling but kept getting things like "Fever Miss Whip Lash Catsuit - Free delivery at Hen Night HQ",  eyelash extensions from the blog of someone who had chicken curry, will keep searching!

too many girls

The Ora Girls

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 16:31 »
ah - found a link to a thread on here, yes definitely looks like that...  oh well, they all look happy and healthy still, at least one of them has done this (or possibly Dora has done it twice) so whoever it is can carry on egg free while she is happy.  Hmm - if it is Dora she is Top Hen (going by the fact that the others have feathers pecked out of their necks and she doesn't, and I have caught her in the act of pecking the others).

Thanks for your help everyone.

ooh just pressed to post and you have put that link on... thanks.

Vember

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 16:32 »
Lash =  shedding some of the lining of pary of the reproductive tract, can be caused by an infection :(

Some times birds that have passed a lash may have problems laying in the future, I have no experience of this.
I think Poultrygeist had a hen pass one once who has continued to lay with no further problems ???

Sarah :)

EDIT : Bit slow there Sarah ::) :lol:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 17:09 »
Oooer, looks like an alien to me :lol:

LadyPluck

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 09:07 »
I knew I shouldn't have read this post at breakfast time  :tongue2:
It looks like a part-formed chick to me  :(

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 37 queries.