sulphur candles

• 3 Replies

coco

• Experienced Member
sulphur candles
« on: October 17, 2009, 21:56 »
I hope I'm not getting a reputation as someone who asks all the stupid questions, but I'm new to this chicken business, and if you want to learn you got to ask someone who knows more than you, right? ::)

Had The Sun newspaper today and there was this article which recommended fumigating your greenhouses and such with a sulphur candle.  These candles are left for a few hours to smoke away, and because the smoke can get into all the cracks and gaps, it kills all the insects and their eggs.

Was wondering if this sort of thing would be suitable for coops?  obviously while the chickens were out and about in the garden.  Just sounds as if the smoke would find all the little cracks that are easily missed with a regular clean.

xx

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: sulphur candles
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 22:36 »
I have heard good reports of sulphur candles against RM , I've never used one though and think they take a lot of hours to clear.  :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 23:02 »
I use one occasionally in a wooden coop I built myself.
After first making sure the chickens are nowhere near the coop, I set the candle (It comes in a tin) on a brick in the centre of the coop alight and give it a half-hour or so.
It can be quite alarming if you've never used one before as it produces prodigious amounts of smoke, but after extinguishing the candle and letting it cool before removal, (without taking a single breath of the stuff), I prop open the coop door and let it air the whole day before re-introducing the hens.
Works for me, and the girls seem unaffected.
Fair warning though, the smoke is what does the killing, and it doesn't care what it kills, so extreme caution is advised. paper masks and the like are simply no good at all...

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:42 »
I haven't seen the ad or the product, but have used many smoke generators for pest control in the past (mostly against fleas in houses). It is unlikely that these are simply sulphur, more likely gamma BHC. You need to check. They are very effective in a confined space (you'd need to seal the ventilation and other openings. They do leave a thin film on surfaces and so cannot be used where there is food or water. Also extremely toxic to aquatic life. The main advantages are that the smoke gets into cavities and they are dry so there is no damage to materials. For chooks, I'd suggest could be useful in winter when nothing dries, but otherwise a spray is more economical and gives better control of application.

xx
Sulphur burner?

Started by ReaderRabbit on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 09:22
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 28 queries.