Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

• 5 Replies

• Experienced Member
Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:43 »
I have read a number of times about putting ash on the garden but not sure if I can put ash from a BBQ on to the soil?  What kind of ash is it?  Will it do any harm to put ash from fire bowl (using briquetts) on my, as of yet, unused heavy clay soil that will be my courgette patch?
 :blink:

cAnAry53

Re: Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53 »
I believe it usually refers to wood ash which is good around the base of fruit trees and bushes,but it will help to break up clay soil.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:58 »
I would imagine briquettes have chemicals in them (maybe to help them burn longer) that wouldnt be healthy for the soil
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:59 »
oh dear wood only then I guess!  Never mind

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 17:08 »
quote from http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/charcoal-briquette:
Charcoal briquettes are made of two primary ingredients (comprising about 90% of the final product) and several minor ones. One of the primary ingredients, known as char, is basically the traditional charcoal, as described above. It is responsible for the briquette's ability to light easily and to produce the desired wood-smoke flavor. The most desirable raw material for this component is hardwoods such as beech, birch, hard maple, hickory, and oak. Some manufacturers also use softwoods like pine, or other organic materials like fruit pits and nut shells.

The other primary ingredient, used to produce a high-temperature, long-lasting fire, is coal. Various types of coal may be used, ranging from sub-bituminous lignite to anthracite.

so, because they're 10% coal that would definitely rule them out.
can't see any reason why you couldn't use lumpwood charcoal, though: especially if you found the stuff that is made using "traditional methods".

Oliver

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 13:13 »
quote from http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/charcoal-briquette:
Charcoal briquettes are made of two primary ingredients (comprising about 90% of the final product) and several minor ones. One of the primary ingredients, known as char, is basically the traditional charcoal, as described above. It is responsible for the briquette's ability to light easily and to produce the desired wood-smoke flavor. The most desirable raw material for this component is hardwoods such as beech, birch, hard maple, hickory, and oak. Some manufacturers also use softwoods like pine, or other organic materials like fruit pits and nut shells.

The other primary ingredient, used to produce a high-temperature, long-lasting fire, is coal. Various types of coal may be used, ranging from sub-bituminous lignite to anthracite.

so, because they're 10% coal that would definitely rule them out.
can't see any reason why you couldn't use lumpwood charcoal, though: especially if you found the stuff that is made using "traditional methods".

Brilliant and to the point. Thanks!
O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
Wot 2 stick in now?

Started by drdave on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 21, 2007, 00:18
by drdave
xx
walking stick cabbage

Started by king cauli on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 21:49
by Clodagh & Dick
xx
Stick To The Tried & Tested Or Experiment?

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 09:39
by Growing4mykids
angry
Nothing fits, it's all the wrong size and in the wrong place

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 11:52
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.822 seconds with 29 queries.