Fruit Tree planning

• 7 Replies

Ham

Fruit Tree planning
« on: September 30, 2016, 13:56 »
I'm considering how and where to plant a/some fruit trees on my newly acquired allotment. Here's the current plan

There's currently a slope at the top edge, which only encroaches into the plot on the line shown. I'm thinking of putting a fruit cage as shown (It'll be made from scaffolding - daughter's boyfriend runs a scaffolding company - one STRONG cage  ;) )

Alternative positions seem to be either in front of the shed (but then it would shade the fruit or, cordon trained across the leftmost border, where the path is. Slight problem there as there is a rampant patch of horseraddish there .... thought that might compete with the trees?

Any suggestions welcome.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruit Tree planning
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 18:44 »
Looking at the plan, you seem to be planning a fruit cage that is about 8m x 4m?

Which trees are you thinking of, how many, and on which rootstock?

Are you planning on putting any fruit bushes in the cage too, or just the trees?

It's often not a bad idea to garden a plot for a year or so before putting in any permanent fixtures, so you get a proper idea of what the soil is like, shading, etc etc.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ham

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 21:58 »
The fruit cage is more for bushes than trees - I've planted raspberries, blackberries and gooseberries so far,  the trees will likely live outside - I'm thinking of trying a cordon grown cherry in the cage. Parakeets are a nuisance where we are (as are wood pigeons)

We're fortunate in that we are the southernmost corner plot, so we have about as much sun as possible (there are trees but far enough away not to affect us much.

My current thinking for the trees is where I've been growing crops on the left hand of the pic, using cordon lines as a border.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 22:05 »
I wouldn't bother with trees in a cage with perhaps the exception of cherrys, save the cage for fruit bushes.

Id be looking at pinching a 2ft wide bed along the entire length of the north side and putting in a row of cordons or espalier, 23m would give you 10 trees easily.

But as Yorkie says trees are a long term commitment - it's really annoying when you put them in the wrong place (don't ask me how I know  :mad: )

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:55 »
Bear in mind that trees will compete with your ground veg / fruit for water and nutrients, so you want to avoid growing them in the same bed as your regular crops, particularly those which are annuals and thus require regular digging over / out.

Another consideration, though, is that if you go for the dwarfing rootstocks, you'll struggle to get underneath them to do anything anyway, as their branches will be quite low.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 19:36 »
Do you need to consider casting shade on a neighbours plot?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Ham

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 20:07 »
That's one of the reasons I like the idea of limiting to less than 2m otherwise someone is going to get a lot of shade.

MustbeMad

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 20:47 »
I will also be after putting some fruit trees on the new plot this year, looking to train as espaliers along the fences - nothing like having a long-term plan :D

MBM

smiley
What new fruit/veg are you planning for 2014?

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

66 Replies
Last post December 27, 2013, 21:59
by marcofez
xx
Planning a brand new fruit plot

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 21:37
by Growster...
xx
Fruit Tree Help

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 19:42
by fatbelly
xx
ID help with Fruit Tree

Started by cloudcooking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 18:58
by mattwragg94

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.