Making chicken sick with sour crop

• 2 Replies

SamT

Making chicken sick with sour crop
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:21 »
Hello

I think one of my chickens has sour crop shes not eating much and has only drunk a little bit of water, her crop feels quite squidgy but its not too enlarged (possibly as shes only had water in the last day or so), I can still feel the grit in there.  We have had a chicken with sour crop before which was much worse, and we tipped her up and managed make her sick and to get it all out over a couple of days and she was right as rain after that, but we cant seem to make this chicken sick which makes me wonder if it is sour crop? 

Can you make a chicken sick if its not got sour crop so is the fact nothings coming out mean its maybe not that, or is it just that we aren't having much luck making her sick?

Don't want to keep trying to make her sick if its not going to happen, she doesn't seem to be bothered about being tipped up where as the other chicken we had, had liquid coming out the minute we tipped her up, there seems to be no reaction at all with this chicken.

She is 2 years old her egg laying is very random she was broody a few weeks ago so her eggs have been very weird if she has laid them.

thanks for any advice

Sam

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Making chicken sick with sour crop
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:33 »
If nothing is coming out, then its unlikely sour crop is the problem.  The sour smell is caused by a mass of stuff fermenting in the crop, rather than passing through and it usually does pour out when you tip the bird up and massage the crop.

Crops do feel a bit squidgy when they are only part full.  At the start of the day they should feel pretty empty and at the end of the day, the crop should be stuffed full.  If your hen doesn't have a crop like this then she isn't eating and that can be a symptom of another problem.  It may be worth a trip to the vet. 

SamT

Re: Making chicken sick with sour crop
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 14:36 »
Hi there, thanks for your reply.  Not sure what the problem was but after a day she was right as rain again and went a bit broody but back to her usual self fortunately.  At least we will know for next time and not keep trying to tip her up, she was very patient about it though bless her.

question
Sour crop and making your chicken vomit!

Started by Mrs S on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 22:21
by Mrs S
xx
libby chick not too good?sour crop/been sick.

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 01:40
by wildwitchy
xx
Chicken with sour crop ??

Started by spockey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 16:29
by alisonwo
xx
Chicken a bit depressed, sour crop?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2009, 22:45
by lucylou

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 39 queries.