Aldi Fruit Trees

• 30 Replies

Trikidiki

Aldi Fruit Trees
« on: February 03, 2016, 21:23 »
Just popped into Aldi this evening, they have their 'top fruit' trees in.

Didn't have time to stop and note all the varieties but from (failing) memory.

Apple: Granny Smith, Gala (cooker) and Golden Delicious.
Pears: I think it was three varieties, one was Williams, the other two were ones I am not familiar with.
Cherries: One sweet and one sour, not the usual suspects (Stella, Morello etc)
Plum: Two purple varieties, one I think was Stanley, the other was a German sounding name starting with 'R' but I can't find it online.

All at £3.49

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
Re: Aldi Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 21:50 »
Just popped into Aldi this evening, they have their 'top fruit' trees in.

Didn't have time to stop and note all the varieties but from (failing) memory.

Apple: Granny Smith, Gala (cooker) and Golden Delicious.
Pears: I think it was three varieties, one was Williams, the other two were ones I am not familiar with.
Cherries: One sweet and one sour, not the usual suspects (Stella, Morello etc)
Plum: Two purple varieties, one I think was Stanley, the other was a German sounding name starting with 'R' but I can't find it online.

All at £3.49

I purchased a Granny Smith the year before last. I got a few good apples off this year and it is looking like it is going to be a strong and productive tree. The only issue I have is that it is not a Granny Smith! I would say it is, or very similar to a Braeburn.

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 22:05 »
I purchased a Granny Smith the year before last. I got a few good apples off this year and it is looking like it is going to be a strong and productive tree. The only issue I have is that it is not a Granny Smith! I would say it is, or very similar to a Braeburn.

Let's hope they've got their act together, I bought one. As much as I like Braeburn I already have one.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 22:26 »
You need to be very careful with cheap trees from supermarkets, simply because they often do not have the rootstock listed.  This means that you could well end up with a full sized tree, which may not be appropriate for your garden / allotment.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 22:37 »
So if you buy one of these supermarket trees and it turns out to be getting a bit big, would it not suffice to give it a good pruning each year, or is it not that simple?

mrsbean

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 23:27 »
My plot neighbour is going to buy one. I bought a cheap one from B&M a few years back it has gone from strength to strength. This year we had 15 of the blue plastic mushroom trays full of apples, they are eaters or cookers. It was a Jonagold  ht10-15 foot. I just prune at a fashion to keep it tidy. Has,nt reached that yet about 9foot.

lettice

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:38 »
Saw this about the rootstock of the Aldi fruit trees on another forum
Might consider one of the apple ones Myself. Cannot really go wrong at that price.

Thanks for your message. We can confirm that the Fruit Trees will be on sale from the 4th February and the rootstock will be as follows:
Apples, – These will be budded onto a “M9 Dwarf” rootstock, which will fruit earlier.
Cherry, – These are budded on to “Colt” rootstock which has uniformed growth pattern, it is semi vigorous and will not grow too large.
Pear, – These are budded on to a “Quince A” rootstock which is a virus free example.
Plums, – Will be budded onto a “St Julian A” root stock or a “Myrobolane” root stock these are virus free and semi vigorous growing.
We hope this helps. Thanks again. Laura Aldi UK Team
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:42 by lettice »

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:52 »
My primary reason for buying was a source of scion material for my grafting projects, the fact they came with a tree attached is a bonus. The Golden Delicious may be used to replace my existing one which had two major limbs broken off by too much fruit.

I already have five Aldi apples, three pears, three plums and two apricots. All have been fine except the apricots which were slightly abused. One has suckered and the scion died but it has been a source of apricot rootstock that I have bought different scions to graft to.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:54 by Trikidiki »

ghost61

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 09:57 »
The cherry tree variety is Burlat and needs another early cherry to pollinate it.  A Stella will do, so,watch out if you don't have any other cherry trees.  I bought three this morning all in fine vigour and showing green buds already!!

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 11:40 »
I've been waiting for those to show up.

That's a shame their apples are on M9 - I'm sure last year or the year before I read they on m26 which made them a cheap source of grafting play material.

Im not going mad - I did 2014 Aldi Fruit tree root stock

Might have nose around my local to see if there's anything tempting.  :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 12:07 »
 The year before last I bought three fruit trees from another supermarket. One Bramley, one Jonagold and one Opal plum.  To date the Bramley isn't a Bramley, the Jonagold isn't a Jonagold, and the jury's still out on the plum tree because it has yet to fruit.  Neither of the apple trees produced fruit worth using, so I'm just waiting to see what the plum tree produces.

Trikidiki

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 12:45 »
Bu&&er.

I have definetly lost it.

Just looked at the labels in daylight and it appears I didn't get the Golden Delicious, I picked up the Gala by mistake. Now, do I risk going down to get a Golden Delicious and probably come home with three more trees or just grin and bear it. Checking on-line says Gala is an eater not a cooker as it says on the label. So will it be a cooker which isn't Gala or 'Gala and not a cooker'?

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 13:00 »
I usually miss these bargains but succeded this morning in getting a Cherry Hedelfinger which is a self fertile sweet cherry and ripens late July, and a plum Stanley, again self fertile eating plum.

Trikidiki

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 18:16 »
Some of the other varieties they have.

Pear: Butirra, Williams, Concord, Santa Maria
Sweet Cherry: Hedelfinger
Plum: Rythgestetter

solway cropper

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 23:33 »
A couple of people have mentioned this but what you see on the label with these cheap trees may not be anything like what you actually get. I have a four-year-old 'Bramley' which is hardly any bigger than the day I bought it and a six-year-old 'plum' which is large and vigorous and has yet to produce any blossom!!

Having said all that I also got a Jonagold which is exactly what it should be and has fruited this last two years.

I suppose at the price they are you might as well just go for it and hope for the best.

question
Aldi Fruit Trees

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2012, 21:37
by mparveen
xx
Aldi Fruit Trees ?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 19:56
by upert
xx
Fruit Trees at Aldi's Thurs 19th £4.18

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 17:19
by jolly jen
xx
More ALDI offers (fruit trees, cold frame and more) - Thursday 19th Feb

Started by Faz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 17:29
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 37 queries.