Hardening-off veg plants

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

Hardening-off veg plants
« on: April 24, 2014, 15:18 »
I germinated my broad beans in the GH and have just potted them on, and they are doing well. Re- these and other veg, how long do you leave them outside during the day, then when do you leave them out at night before planting? I  know you have to watch the weather, but I've just read a post where someone only leaves them outside during the day for a couple of days.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Hardening-off veg plants
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 15:51 »
At least a week and mostly nearer two weeks before I leave them out at night, and then give them around four nights before they go to the plot.

But them I am a bit of a softie and take the view that I have bothered to get them to this stage so I might as well try to ensure they don't stop growing when they get to the cold and windy plot  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 16:31 »
I germinated my broad beans in the GH and have just potted them on, and they are doing well. Re- these and other veg, how long do you leave them outside during the day, then when do you leave them out at night before planting? I  know you have to watch the weather, but I've just read a post where someone only leaves them outside during the day for a couple of days.

Not sure which post you're referring to, but if it was mine, I said initially leave them outside during the day only for a couple of days (i.e. bringing them back in at night) and then for the next few days leave them outside all the time but in a sheltered place.

Edit: And that was in the context of the particular poster, who had pressing needs if I recall to get the plants outside.  I usually harden off over a longer period of about 10-14 days if possible.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 16:33 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

crh75

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 16:45 »
I think the above are a very good guideline and will work with all plants.  As you get experience you will realise that the time required to harden off depends on the plant variety and outdoor temps.

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 17:57 »
i have a small 3 tier plastic greenhouse thing from wilkos. pop them in all the time and open all day.  at night just zip up the front.  no moving plants around.  works for me.  cheers wrinkly1

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 19:26 »
i have a small 3 tier plastic greenhouse thing from wilkos. pop them in all the time and open all day.  at night just zip up the front.  no moving plants around.  works for me.  cheers wrinkly1
I do the same with my cold frame - just drop the lid at night time.  After a while I leave the lid open at night and after another while the plants are ready to brave the cold of the north!  8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 22:08 »

You still need to be careful about overnight temperatures.  Those greenhouses (I've got one) only protect by about 1-2 degrees overnight.  So, if a proper frost is forecast and you have tender plants in there, they are still at risk.  And tomatoes or similar are likely to sulk properly in there despite the protection.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 01:13 »
And one important tip is to not put any indoor plants out in full sunshine for the day at first. Leaf burn is guaranteed. For the first day or two put them in a slightly shady area or somewhere that gets maybe an hour or two of sun then some shade. Then you can increase the sunlight exposure to a few hours a day, then to full sun and, depending on night temps, all day and night in the cold frames or under row covers. As Sunny says, it can take up to two weeks to acclimatize plants to the strong rays of sun and UV.

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 01:20 »
If I'm short of time and if the temps and weather aren't dreadful, then I harden off for 3 days, and then plant out under enviromesh just for another few days. The mesh certainly does a very good job protecting from the wind and the worst of the weather.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 14:04 »

Not sure which post you're referring to, but if it was mine, I said initially leave them outside during the day only for a couple of days (i.e. bringing them back in at night) and then for the next few days leave them outside all the time but in a sheltered place.

Edit: And that was in the context of the particular poster, who had pressing needs if I recall to get the plants outside.  I usually harden off over a longer period of about 10-14 days if possible.
Yorkie - yes it was you but didn't realise you were answering a pressing need to get them out. Normally, the first week I put them outside during the day but take them in at night then, if the weather is clement, I leave them outside all the time for another week. Thanks for clarifying this.

xx
Un-hardening plants?

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 23:28
by aelf
xx
Hardening off my tom plants

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 16:37
by sunshineband
xx
Hardening off young plants

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 05:15
by Kristen
xx
Hardening Off ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 10:49
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 37 queries.