Hardening off my tom plants

• 7 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Hardening off my tom plants
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:52 »
I started early with my tom seeds (although that was what the packet said). and I now have some of the that are about 14" tall with flowers.   I was wondering what the best way and when to harden them off for greenhouse growing?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Hardening off my tom plants
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:08 »
If I've understood correctly that you have them somewhere "warmer" than the greenhouse currently - a heated conservatory or somesuch perhaps?

I would put them in the greenhouse for the day, and bring them back in at night, for 4 or 5 days. Then I would leave them in the greenhouse provided the night minimum temperature will be above 10C - bring back in if colder than that.

(If its a grow-house thingie - frame with polythene covering - it will fall to the same temperature as outside ruing the night; whereas a glass house should keep about 5C warmer than the outside)

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:44 »
Thanks, they are on a windowsill at the mo.  The greenhouse is unheated so is dropping to abour <5 degrees at the moment so I guess I should keep them indoors for a while and start to harden them off a bit later in the year when I know it will be a bit warmer in ghouse overnight.

It will drive me nuts to keep taking them in an out for longer than a week!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:45 »
"The greenhouse is unheated so is dropping to abour <5 degrees"

Are you far North then? (Putting an approximate location in your Profile would help :D)

I don't think we have had many nights where the outside air temperature has fallen that low, let alone in the greenhouse ... worth getting a Max/Min thermometer so you can check.

They will survive below 10C, but I think it checks them ... so if you get desperate I would think that a minimum of 5C would be fine.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 14:14 by Kristen »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:51 »
It's only 10 days since the temp fell to 0.2 C here. We are forecast 4 or 5 C over the weekend at night.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 13:36 »
I live in the midlands, and I do have a (slightly broken by my toddler) min / max thermometer.  I am sure it has only been about 4/5 day since it fell below 5 degrees.

I am not absolutely desperate to turf them out yet, especially if it might affect their performance, I was really trying to find out the how as well as the when.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 16:10 »
You can use Wunderground.com to review historical data at Personal Weather Stations in your area, and from that work out when the last frost has been in recent years, and when the temeprature will, on average, stay above 5C (or whatever).

You;ll still need to watch the forecast, but it helps pick a date that has the minimum chance of having to bring all the plants back in every night!

I've written a step-by-step on My Blog if it helps

There ... now you can all tell me what Nerd I am!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 16:37 »
I live in the midlands, and I do have a (slightly broken by my toddler) min / max thermometer.  I am sure it has only been about 4/5 day since it fell below 5 degrees.

I am not absolutely desperate to turf them out yet, especially if it might affect their performance, I was really trying to find out the how as well as the when.

Crikey you're in a cold spot mate!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Un-hardening plants?

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 23:28
by aelf
xx
Hardening-off veg plants

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 14:04
by Goosegirl
xx
Hardening off young plants

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 05:15
by Kristen
xx
Hardening off

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:15
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.756 seconds with 36 queries.