Jeyes Fluid

• 45 Replies

Christine

Re: Jeyes Fluid
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 19:31 »
The things that people do to their plots and then the next tenant wonders why nothing grows well.

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 20:48 »
Just brought 5 litres of the stuff  ;) great for cleaning the greenhouse coldframes etc and i always rinse pots trays in diluted jeyes after washing then let them dry. If you want to read the real reason a lot of these products have been taken out of use read here and follow the link. This was used as a soil sterilizer as well.

cadalot

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 21:25 »
What Link?

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 22:14 »

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 22:46 »
It doesn't seem that long ago that they stopped using it on soil (but it probably was!)
I bought loads of it for 20p a tin  because the tin said "for sterilising soil" and the GC had to get rid before the law changed :D
I only ever used it for my Pots anyway, but I do like the smell.

tryx

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 23:17 »
to sterilise soil the natural way,slightly harder than chemicals,look at [victoriananursery.co.uk[..they sell bio sterilant mustard seed.it may be time consuming but surely more beneficial

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 09:11 »
to sterilise soil the natural way,slightly harder than chemicals,look at [victoriananursery.co.uk[..they sell bio sterilant mustard seed.it may be time consuming but surely more beneficial

Anyone tried this? It claims to control slugs and snails too, but I would have thought more would move back in once something was planted.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 09:57 »

Anyone tried this? It claims to control slugs and snails too, but I would have thought more would move back in once something was planted.

I sowed green manure on 2 beds in late summer/autumn last year and I can honestly say that I have not experienced any slug/snail issues  :)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 10:09 »
I've got mustard, phacelia and grazing rye on about a third of the plot at the moment, but none of it claims to kill slugs.

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 15:00 »
Hi all, jeyes fluid is not the same stuff as it was a few years ago,for one they have taken out the coal tar as its now known to be carsnagenic. and added a purfume so it smells the same,i still would not like to dip my cabbages or anything else i am going to eat in it.Its ok for what it is ment for a general disinfected.Amillatox is differant as it still contain coal tar but dont be fooled that does not work against club root no trails done and so not licensed for that use,again would you eat anything covered in coal tar.Coal tar soap has had the coal removed allso.
sorry to ramble on :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

BabbyAnn

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 15:38 »
Hi all, jeyes fluid is not the same stuff as it was a few years ago,for one they have taken out the coal tar as its now known to be carsnagenic. and added a purfume so it smells the same

sorry seedman, but this is a copy & paste from Jeyes Fluid own website of contents:

Aqua
Sodium castorate
PEG
p-chloro-m-cresol
Tar acids
Terpineol
Isopropyl alcohol

and this portion from the MSDS sheet (revised 2008) -

Name EC No. CAS-No. Content Classification
4-CHLORO-M-CRESOL 200-431-6 59-50-7 5 - < 10% Xn;R21/22 R43 Xi;R41 N;R50
TAR ACIDS, (POLY)ALKYLPHENOL FRACTION 284-893-4 84989-05-9 5 - < 10% T;R24/25. Xi;R38.
PROPAN-2-OL 200-661-7 67-63-0 1 - < 2.5% F;R11 Xi;R36 R67
TERPINEOL 232-268-1 8000-41-7 2.5 - < 5% Xi;R38.

(Classification for the tar acids is Toxic: R24/25 toxic in contact with skin and if swallowed) It is less than 10% at full strength so would be heavily diluted before use..  Terpineol would be the "perfume" usually derived from something like pine or similar giving it that strong whiff - I suspect the original formulae hasn't really altered that much at all.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 16:57 »
Jeyes' own website claims that the recipe for Jeyes Fluid is the same as when first developed in 1877, which is nearly true - they had to reduce the proportion of tar acids from 15% to <10% to avoid an EU ban, and also decided against paying for expensive testing to obtain an EU licence for continued use as a pesticide as well as a disinfectant (your guess is as good as mine as to why they made that decision!)

Essentially it's still the same product, albeit slightly weaker, which is both good and "be careful" news.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 17:03 »
it's basically got the same stuff in as Creosote  :ohmy:

it's my belief that they didn't pay for the testing because they knew it wouldn't pass the new regulations  ::)

i use Citrox for all my greenhouse and pot cleaning  :D
http://www.citrox.org/

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 18:55 »
It doesn't seem that long ago that they stopped using it on soil (but it probably was!)
I bought loads of it for 20p a tin  because the tin said "for sterilising soil" and the GC had

Last date for use was 31 December 2003 - only 9 years ago!  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 19:11 »
Jeyes' own website claims that the recipe for Jeyes Fluid is the same as when first developed in 1877, which is nearly true - they had to reduce the proportion of tar acids from 15% to <10% to avoid an EU ban, and also decided against paying for expensive testing to obtain an EU licence for continued use as a pesticide as well as a disinfectant (your guess is as good as mine as to why they made that decision!)

Essentially it's still the same product, albeit slightly weaker, which is both good and "be careful" news.
Sorry my missunderstanding i was going of  the shop on are lottie when i asked them has jeyes
change as it did seem to smell as strong .Sorry for any missleading comments

xx
Jeyes fluid

Started by Dean H on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 09:23
by stompy
xx
jeyes fluid

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 14:44
by sunshineband
xx
Jeyes Fluid

Started by steved on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 13:19
by Trikidiki
xx
jeyes fluid

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 18:49
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 40 queries.