What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2017, 12:39 »
Potted up my sweetcorn in their cardboard tubes should have checked them a couple of days ago some tap roots over 2 inches. An hour rough digging will finish off tomorrow, checked carrots no sign yes but 1st earlly pots peeping through compost  in the greenhouse..... then off to work
:D I garden therefore I am

snowdrops

« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2017, 18:53 »
7 hour stint today with about 4hours from hubby. He rotorvated the potato,squash & another 3 beds. I had a huge bonfire, having fetched a load of wood from our daughters last night, got all the weeds burnt it got so hot. Hubby fetched me a load of confidential paperwork I've been shredding but much quicker to burn it. Then I tidied out both big & little sheds, I can actual see the floor in the big one again. But not in the little one as we keep the rotorvator in there & I like to keep it hidden behind a load of cardboard boxes. Cooked a sausage sandwich, & had a surprise visit from our little granddaughter & mummy, plus a couple of cups of tea. All in all a lovely day & the plot looks superb, nothing much in it but that won't take long to fill it
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

miggs

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2017, 19:23 »
Nothing at the plot today, but another seed sowing session in the potting shed at home. Probably go back to the plot in the morning.

Paul Plots

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2017, 00:49 »
I dug a good deep hole and plonked in an old fence... strung some wire across from a wooden arch then tied in my blackberry.

(The rest of the day = household jobs that I have been putting off for a while but loads of plotting tomorrow ;) )
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 00:50 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2017, 21:30 »
Sowed my broad beans yesterday and today the onion sets went in.
I'm a little nervous because a friend got me a load of cow manure this winter but I'm not sure if it's old enough. I have no experience so I'm not sure what constitutes 'well rotted'! One person thought I should leave it for a year whilst another said it would be fine. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Paul Plots

« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2017, 22:32 »
Sowed my broad beans yesterday and today the onion sets went in.
I'm a little nervous because a friend got me a load of cow manure this winter but I'm not sure if it's old enough. I have no experience so I'm not sure what constitutes 'well rotted'! One person thought I should leave it for a year whilst another said it would be fine. Only one way to find out I suppose.

It may well depend upon what you are using it for - which crops and how you apply it. Dug in, mulched around or into a trench and forked in before covering with soil.

Some crops hate newly manured ground... I think it'd be ok to place it around fruit bushes but keep it away from the stems.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2017, 08:03 »
Potted on aubergines, peppers, chilies and toms yesterday.  Off up the plot once my morning coffee has kicked in.  I want to do some more digging before it gets too warm  :)

miggs

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2017, 09:29 »
As the weather is looking good for the weekend I expect to be busy. I have got plans to put in my Onions and shallots later today when the sun burns away the damp. I will carry on digging plots ready to take spuds next weekend. Have been reading spud planting tips on here for a few days now, need some Potato fertiliser now.

miggs

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2017, 15:54 »
Just got back from the plot. Planted about 100 Onion's and approx 20 Red shallots. Will have to go back on Sunday to plant the rest. I have another bag of Onions and 3 bags of Shallots to plant.
Strimmed all the paths and it's looking good again.

Paul Plots

« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2017, 16:54 »
Lots of grass cutting and sweet-pea a planting (first lot).

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2017, 09:07 »
Yesterday I did do some digging and watered the cabbage, spinach and onions that have recently been planted on the plot.  Also some strimming of edges.

Today is a big seedling catch-up.  I need to shuffle stuff around again and make some room in the greenhouse - wish me luck  :lol:

gazmet

« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2017, 17:25 »
Sowed asparagus seeds 3 years ago. Finally getting my reward.
IMG_0185.JPG

miggs

« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2017, 19:14 »
After a couple of hours down at the plot this morning, I can safely say all my Onion sets are in. I did a rough count with the second bag and there approx 25 sets per row. Each bag did 6 rows. I think I will be ok for Onions. I also got 4 bags of Shallots in. Made a bed approx 1ft x 10ft larger, to keep all the edges of the beds in line with each other. Strimmed all the paths and got a bit of sunburn for my troubles.

Paul Plots

« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2017, 20:41 »
Watered.... picked purple sprouting... hoed a little

(Onions sprouting, shallots green tufted, beetroot = two leaves showing, transplanted raspberries looking good and even some early flower buds) :)

Aled

« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2017, 09:41 »
Double dug and manured the plot on Sunday. I'll give it a week to settle then i'll rotovate and plant. Also planted out my strawberries.
Right we have now started proper!
Cheers
Aled

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 54 queries.