Spacing Onions

• 8 Replies

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
Spacing Onions
« on: October 18, 2012, 15:16 »
Taking into account the size of the onion and getting between them to weed, what is the best spacing for onion sets? I was going to space them at 8 inches. Is that too much?

simonwatson

Re: Spacing Onions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 15:37 »
Do you mean 8 inch centres or 8 inches between sets with rows at another spacing? I planted mine at 6 inch and 4 inch centres last year.

Big mistake.

I had to hand weed the whole lot. 8 inches between rows and 3-4 inches between sets should give you some reasonably sized onions that you can (just) get a hoe between the rows of. If you're trying to grow big onions, you can increase the spacing up to 6 inches, but unless you're growing a giant variety there's no point going beyond that.

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 15:42 »
I was thinking of 8 inch centres to allow for easy weeding with a hoe.

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 15:52 »
In that case if you planted 5 inches apart, with 12 between rows, the bulbs should crowd out any weeds from the row and you can easily hoe between them, whilst giving the same area of growing space per onion.

My experience with 'standard' varieties is that anything past about 6 inch centres doesn't seem to give you bigger bulbs, so you end up with less crop per square (insert your favourite measure here). 4 inches between sets, 12 inches between rows might be better.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 22:37 »
I always plant mine far closer than is recommended and get excellent results. 16 onions per square foot is fine and gives decent sized but not large bulbs. When I want bigger bulbs I plant them 5-6 inches apart each way. Best onion this year weighed 328g.

Plant them in blocks rather than rows and you'll have less trouble with weeds and get more per given area.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 14:06 »
I planted mine at 9in centres then put parsnips in the gaps.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 17:57 »
I do mine 6" row spacing x 8" between the plants to give me room to hoe through the 8" spaces gap.. It works well on the plot giving me 3 rows of 24 per packet of sets.. I do them as accurately as I can with strings for the rows and a calibrated plank to get the 8" spaces so the rows and spaces all line up..  I can also use a small hoe through the 6" spaces if required as well..

Previously in my roof top garden big long pots they were 4" x 4" and also did really well. I did feed them once before planting and once during growing time.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 14:15 »
Mine go out at 5inch centres. I have to hand weed once they get bigger, but find that any further apart doesn't change things too much as when there is plenty of topgrowth it is harder to hoe in any case.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 15:55 »
I put mine in at 5 inches apart too and always get nice sized onions . I don't like huge onions as I would rather use a whole one than cut one in half and have to store a smelly onion.
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

xx
Spacing in Raised Beds (and spacing in general!)

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 22:09
by Ice
xx
Why is row spacing wider than between plant spacing?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2023, 11:39
by Goosegirl
xx
Need some help with spacing's please.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 19:22
by Dantheman
xx
Spacing.

Started by BOB3554 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 24, 2008, 20:24
by waddecar

Page created in 0.667 seconds with 28 queries.