Carrots and green manure

• 6 Replies

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
Carrots and green manure
« on: October 13, 2012, 06:47 »
I only have raised beds in my garden, so not a full allotment but I'm after some advice

I have been clearing the beds this week and have got access to a big pile of well rotted manure so I got carried away putting as much as possible down but I haven't thought about my carrots for next year. I do have an area where I pulled my onions that I sowed winter tares as a green manure and this is the only area not manured. I have sprouts which got a good mulch and parsnips still in the ground but I wouldn't plant my carrots after parsnips.

Many thanks
Martin

NOVICE2012

Re: Carrots and green manure
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:59 »
Hi

no avice on above topic sorry.

but maybe you can help me.  I am struggling to figure out how to post a thread like you have.

can you please advise?

novice2012

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 07:17 »
Go to the topic page and in the top right corner it says new topic and then type away!

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 07:30 »
You're absolutely right about planting carrots without any manure,Elmarto, and also continuing a similar root veg on the same patch.

Can you sow them in deep pots, and stand them high up on something? You'd be surprised at the yield, and you also keep the dreaded carrot fly at bay into the bargain? We did this and although germination was poor due to the bad summer, we managed several pounds of passable carrots - with no fly at all!

(And that way, you have some extra manured ground for all those other veg you'd like to grow)!

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:58 »
Thanks for that, I have some flower bags on the wall that are looking a bit sorry now so I may try a few in those.

I was thinking maybe scraping the top foot or so out and replacing with seed compost?

Not too sure but I'm off to get some more manure cos it looks lovely!

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 16:00 »
I'm the exception to the rule. My mother and I always plant carrots in manured soil and we never have forked, hairy or strange carrots. Always get a fantastic crop of straight, smooth carrots. Carrots too like some feeding so why not try doing some in your manured area and some in the flower bags to see what works best for you?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 21:24 »
I grow my carrots in salad growing bags from Wilko, up on an old table outside the back door.
Anne

xx
Green manure and carrots

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 06:36
by gillie
xx
green manure and carrots

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 10:04
by JayG
xx
Green manure and carrots

Started by drippytap on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2018, 11:36
by Salmo
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver

Page created in 0.635 seconds with 28 queries.